You sickos. This is really a good story about sportsmaship.

Canada thanks opposition coach with tonnes of maple syrup

OSLO: Grateful Canadians have given five tonnes of maple syrup to a Norwegian coach as thanks for helping cross-country skier Sarah Renner win an Olympic silver medal after her pole broke during the women's team sprint race.

Bjoernar Haakonsmoen became a hero in Canada for handing Renner a new pole at the Turin Games on February 14, especially because the Norwegian team finished fourth.

"It was a reflex action. I didn't even think about what I was doing," Haakonsmoen told Reuters on Wednesday after a ceremony at the Canadian embassy in Oslo to hand over a truckload of 7400 cans of maple syrup donated as sugary thanks.

"I like maple syrup, but not in these quantities," Haakonsmoen said, adding he would keep a few cans.

"Much of the news we read is bleak... but your action embodied the spirit of the Olympics," Richard Page, one of the organisers of the drive to collect the cans, told Haakonsmoen. Many donors wrote messages of thanks on the cans.

Renner and her teammate Beckie Scott won the silver behind the Swedish team.

Thousands of cans will be handed out to Norwegians around the country.

A Norwegian mobile phone operator also contributed 150,000 Norwegian crowns ($US23.3K) to Haakonsmoen's favoured anti-cancer charity.

That is class-helping out your oponents in situations like that is always classy. Well done.

If you're the pessimist, you could argure that it's sabotage -- maple syrup is a serious diarhetic.

Maybe he feels that as a nation they're constipated. After all, it is Nat'l Irritable Bowel awareness for both US and Canada... :teehee:

You're just having a little bit too much fub with this, aren't you? :P

I am too.

It's a topic after my own bowel. :teehee: