I have been having difficulty breathing where i have to keep taking deep breaths, feels like my heart is racing and it's driving me crazy :-( i am only 18 and its scaring the sh*t out of me, i went to the hospital today and had a ECG done and the nurse said my heart was slightly beating to fast also had my BP done and he said it was slighlty high (but he said it might be because i was stressed about the test) he also checked my oxygen levels but they were fine, i also had a chest x ray and nothing was wrong with that, also had blood tests and they were also fine, i really don't know what is wrong with me, maybe its anxiety or depression, i am seeing my doctor tuesday for more information about it, what could this be? PLEASE HELP ITS DRIVING ME UP THE WALL, its also stopping me from going out my house to see my mates, it has also put me off eating, sometimes it scares me that much i think i am going to die, please help!!!

Hi Marc: What you are experiencing is a TOTAL panic/anxiety attack. I am going to give you some advice on how you deal with this OK?

1. sit in a room and relax - no stimulus at all - then put your finger on one nostril and breath in through your mouth and slowly exhale through your nostril, do this 5 times and then switch nostrils.

2. Lay down and listen to your heart, breathing deeply but not too much or you might get dizzy. Listen to your heartbeat, if it accelerates start breathing slower and focus on getting it down.

3. IF your heart is racing like crazy, you can do one of the following. Hold your nose tight, take in a deep breath and close your mouth and try to GENTLY blow it out your nose. Hold for about 4/5 seconds, then exhale. Next sit on a chair or the edge of the bed and bend forward and try and put your head between your knees, hold that for several seconds. The next is find your main artery on the right side of your neck, when you find the pulsing vein massage it for also about 5 - 10 seconds. The final one is to cough! all of these regulate your heart beat!

4. DO NOT drink alcohol, caffeine or carbonated drinks while you are in this state, it just puts pressure on your heart!

5. Since you have had all the tests, this is a good thing. You are NOT having a heart attack, Angina, or anything like that. Some people live with this for most of their lives, but that is just a few and sometimes they need to have a procedure that regulates the electricity in their heart.

6. So try and determine what has happened to you recently, it doesn't even have to be about right now. It can be well after something that has happened to you. Some people can have anxiety attacks YEARS after a traumatic event in their lives. Our brains are wonderful things, but they have a breaking point sometimes and they need a break from all the stress's and stimuli around us. So try and keep away from anything that can set you off.

This also includes a heavy bass!!!!! The VERY loud music that is out there, can actually attack your internal organs. Being young you wont want to hear this of course! But if you've ever been on the street and someone with their car stereo BLARING with a deep bass, drives by. It actually hurts your skin and your inner ear. There are studies out there about this type of music can actually bring on arythmia and even destroy certain organs such as kidneys and livers. Sound waves are used to break up kidney and gallstones and that is just a wave pointed at the stone. So can you imagine what it does to the entire organ with no restriction?

You will be fine hon. The stress you feel about this is also not helping and it's like a catch 22 isn't it!!!? So relax and just know that you are NOT going to die and that it is totally fixable and you will be ok! Good luck and health hon!

Thanks you very much, i really appreciate it, you say avoid alcohol but to be honest alcohol seems to help the problem LOL, i no it's weird but it relaxes me and takes my mind off it which helps alot, is there any meds i can take for this? when i was at the hospital the doctor couldn't get an accurate reading of my heart because my heart was beating to fast so he gave me diazipan to slow it down (SP) which made me feel better for a little while, i am drinking alcohol right now and my problem is not as bad as it normally is, it also tends to be worse during the day, at night it's no where near as bad, any advice on what i should tell my doctor on Tuesday? once again many thanks for your fast reply and help :-) marc

Hi Marc: Alcohol is a depressent, that is why you feel "better" drinking! The thing is when you stop, it will create the big problems that you are experiencing. Alcohol is not good for the heart or any organ actually. They gave you diazepam at the hospital just so they could get a good reading, that is NOT something to take on a regular basis. As it SLOWS the heart down too much. This is more about panic/anxiety then it is about a "heart" problem, So anything that affects your heart to start beating faster - as what I mentioned before - can start the whole problem up again. And make it harder for you to control. Also these "arythmias" are usually brought on from lack of sleep too, so when you are resting - at night - you are less likely to start this problem going. So rest as much as you can - I know I know you want to hang out with the guys tonight :O XD But you don't want to become the "life of the party" having an attack right in the middle of it!!!! XD :$ ;-) So take it easy till Tuesday and mention all your symptoms. Let me know what your doctor says OK? And try not to go on any drugs OK? What you are going through is normal, you just have to learn how to deal with this! It is NOT good to get used to drugs to help you. When you need to get to the bottom of everything first OK? Oh and one other thing - no smoking!!!!! The nicotine is an excelerant as well. So no drinking, no smoking, no sex, no partying, no drugs and have a good time!!!! XD ;-) XD Actually I'm serious!!!!

Yes alcohol does seem to make the problem worse, only after i have sobered up though, u say no sex :-( but if it is anxiety shouldn't i be doing the things i enjoy to make my mind off the problem? like most of the time the problem goes away when i am out (not all the time though) even going the the hospital yesterday has not really made the problem better, even though my blood was fine, my x-ray was fine and my oxygen level was fine, i thought it would make me feel better but it has not :-( it's making me feel so low. thanks for your help. marc

Also i should mention that i have had some stress recently, i mean i had this about 3 years ago (no where near as bad though) and i went to the hospital then and they gave me a chest x-ray and it was ok, then the problem went for a while, but there was times when i had it but no where near as bad as i am having now, anyway last September my girl friend at the time fell pregnant and had an abortion which has upset me lately, a couple of months later we broke up for good after 2 years, could it be that? i just don't know anymore. another thing that as worried me is my BP was high at the hospital, is that normal for someone of my age? all these things are worrying me so much.

Hi Marc: That is probably it, our minds and bodys are wonderous things, they keep taking stuff and taking stuff. And then one day they just can't control any of anymore. So it will appear through your body, as in your case a panic/anxiety attack. You obviously went through a lot of stress when she confirmed she was pregnant and then having an abortion then the break up. Our lives are SO busy and LOUD that we just keep going and going and then one day your brain says "Excuse me!!!!!!! I need a break, remember that thing I didn't get to deal with? Well here you try it!!!!!" And that is EXACTLY what happens.

My mom died 9 years ago in September. I was devestated - of course - but 3 years after I was in a Rehabilitation class and this guy started talking about when his girlfriend died. Well I went into a full total Panic attack. I had to have nurses with me and calm me down and literally hold me down I was a mess for hours! And it's because I never really dealt with my moms death - due to job, kids, family, LIFE!!! and my brain just heard the right words for everything to come back and WHAM!!!! Hit me like a tonne of bricks. So it is probably the same for you as well, and I would hazzard a guess that is has been the same for your ex.

When you heart is pumping away frantically - in the middle of a panic attack - it makes your blood pressure go up. Think of a kettle on the boil right? It starts simmering - no bubbles - then all of a sudden it's at the boiling point and there's bubbles and splashes everywhere!!! Same thing with your blood! So don't worry about that OK? You will be fine, and if you need to get your anxiety solved really think about what brings it on.

Thank you, but this feeling is almost constant every day, that is why i went to the hospital, sometimes its worse then others but it lways feels like my breathing is odd, its making my life a living hell, i cant do anything anymore :-( what do you think my doctor will do tuesday? more tests? i just hope there is nothing seriously wrong.

Hi Marc: Anxiety isn't just a one day affair, it can be a constant thing until you are able to successfully deal with it. When people suffer from anxiety they can also WORRY a lot of what things might be. Because we are always taught there HAS to be a reason why you feel this way right? So since you don't think that your brain can possibly have such a TOTAL affect on your body you think that there has to be more to it. Which is totally normal. I am pretty sure you doctor would go over the tests you already have and give you a few more that haven't been done. Just to make sure. What I WILL caution you about Marc, IS taking any medication he gives you. The reason why I am being hypocritical is this! You are 18! and children, teenagers and young people who are given anti depressenants or anti anxiety pills are more likely to suffer from the devestating side effects of those pills. Such as suicidal thoughts, SEVERE SEVERE anxiety and depression!!! So MANY - including my layman self - in the medical community do not agree with giving a healthy young person medication that affects their seratonin levels in their brains. So WHEN the doctor tells you they have found nothing physically wrong with you - I want you to find out the root cause of your anxiety and then get the appropriate help for it! IF and I really mean IF you still cannot stop having anxiety/panic attacks - then and only then look into taking medications for it OK? PROMISE!!!???? More and more young people are having anxiety issues, in the world we live in now, there is NO time to relax or be bombarded constantly by noise or disturbances. We have lost the art of relaxing, and that has HUGE implications for all of us ESPECIALLY young people. So I just want you to focus on the good in your life OK? I hope I don't sound condicending, because that is NOT what I want to come across as. I of all people, understand anxiety and panic attacks - believe me!!! I just don't want you still on these drugs for years and years, as I have been. And miss out on really fantastic stuff - that's all OK? So write down your questions and symptoms for the doctor - so you don't forget. and write down his answers and let me know OK?! Good luck kiddo!!!

Yes i will try not to take any meds, but i have heard from other people on other boards that they have helped alot, anyway i will take your advice, also another symptom i forgot to mention to you is muscle twitching, is that normal with anxiety? thanks for your help :-) :-)

Hi MArc: I am NOT saying they don't help - because I am one of the people that they do help! BUT I am 45 and have been through some pretty bad stuff in my life! You are 18 and that's the worry for me is the age, if you were 30 I would be telling you to ask for this and this. BUT that said I would still want you to look into other alternative therapies. Because drugs have brought me to this place and unfortunately drugs are the only things that I can have to get me functioning. But that's another story.

Below I have attaced a GREAT site about the different conditions and symptoms you may have with a panic/anxiety disorder - watch now you will have ALL of them - ;-) o.O :-D XD JK with ya!!! Anyway like I said hon, write everything down OK?

http://www.enotalone.com/article/3075.html

Twitching is also a sign. Remember it's your brain that is in charge of all of this, and your brain is just basically one big electrical cell. And when it is over stimulated it sends all kinds of rapid behaviours - including heart rate and breathing, blinking, twitching, dizziness. Think of a computer being overloaded, EVERYTHING is being sent over and over again, then it just quits on you in the middle of a big report that you forgot to save!!!! o.O Same thing!!!

I just have to say thank you very much for your help :-) i am starting to feel a little better just by hearing what you have to say thank you. another question i forgot to ask was is it normal for the hospital to take 4 blood tests? they filled 4 tubes of blood which when i asked me dad he said when he had a blood test they only done 1 tube. sorry for all these questions.

Its a good thing I'm not charging you with all this sneaking a question in here an there !!!! XD ;-)

It sounds to me like your doctor did a thorough blood test, he was probably ruling out different things. I think that it would have been a hormonal test, thyroid, drug, and for infections. Next time look away and keep your eyes closed!!!!!! XD XD ;-) Anymore questions Marc? Or can I start answering other people now?!!!!!! LOL ;-) o.O XD :-D

LOL na not at the moment thank you :-) if i have any more questions i will let you know hehehe lol

Can't wait!!!!!!! ;-) ;-) ;-) XD :-D XD