ok so i got really drunk on st. patricks day and i ended up throwing up that same night.... so im assuming that i ridded everything out of my system. The only problem now is that, a few days later, i find it difficult to breath and i am experiencing constant chest pains after drinking alcohol. Has anyone ever gone through this? Any help and/or suggestions would be great

It's a common symptom of alcohol withdrawal in heavy drinkers. These symptoms get worse as you age, and if you don't stop it could possibly kill you.

i feel the heavy chest 2 or 3 days after the night out...any other ideas...its not withdrawl as this sort of activity isnt a nightly thing..

what youre experiencing, i had happen twice, the vomiting can cause some fluid to get into the lungs, when it happened to me i went a hospital thinking i was having a heart attack, turned out it was fluid in the lungs, so i dont get puking drunk anymore.

I got a little carried away the last two or three weeks, and since i am dispositioned to alcohol, it didn't help. so i basically got hammered for likt two and a half weeks straight with maybe a day sober here and there. now i am taking a break, but all today and yesterday i've been kinda short of breath, like i have to take deep breaths all the time and there's discomfort right at the botton of the ribs. so anyone know what this if for sure?

It's probably your liver swelling. Lay of the booze for a while.

I have had a hiatus hernia and acid reflux since I was 20 (30) now but in the last 5 years I have breathing problems after nights of acid.

I play football twice a week and visit the gym 1-2 times a day and last year trained for a half marathon and ordinarily, my fitness is very good. Although my acid reflux is mostly under control with a daily tablet (Losec) topped up with Gavascon, drinking alcohol still causes acid and the breathing problems. Over the years however, various surgeons have remained unconvinced that the breathing problems are associated with the acid reflux. Tonight however, my brother who has just returned from a lads holiday is suffering today really struggling for breath much like I have been many times in the past. He has also admitted to me that he has been having these symptoms for a number of months, 1to2 days after drinking. He is sure however that he does not suffer from any acid reflux. He too visits the gym every day although is more into body building and is very muscular. I have described to him how my symptoms are now (e.g. a bit wheezy 1to2 days after drinking a few pints or a bottle of wine) to how I used to be and would be now after a night of 8 pints plus where the following evening, onwards into the next day again, I would really struggle to breath as if every breath takes lots of energy and effort. He said that my explanation was exactly what he has been suffering with. Also I feel like I need to clear my throat constantly.

I have tried to treat my problem with asthma pumps in the past although the pumps seem to have no effect. Now my bro has the same breathing problems after alcohol but no acid; this seems to conflict with the view that I have had for a number of years that the acid reflux was causing the problem.

Although I appreciate that the problem could mostly be avoided by not consuming alcohol, I’m not convinced that is the whole problem: maybe it is just something that exaggerates and highlights it. I also worry how bad the symptoms may get in future when I’m too old to train for half marathons (etc) and my lungs are not in such good condition. Incidentally, ordinarily, I score extremely high on a peak flow test. I’ve had allergy tests that have all been fine and I was told by a doctor at the hospital whilst checking my breathing that I have the lungs of an athlete.

I don’t want to drink every day, or even every weekend but a one off over indulgence whilst watching a big sporting event, I don’t think is too much to ask. Myself and my girlfriend also enjoy quiet holidays abroad reading and relaxing in the days, I normally exercise in the afternoons and then we eat out in the evenings. Inevitably though, I will end up with breathing problems if I wanted to have a few drinks a couple of nights in a row.

Until today, I blamed a combination of eating fatty foods at weekends, and a weekly drink which caused acid reflux and consequently breathing problems. After speaking to my bro today, I wonder is alcohol alone the cause of my problems.

I will drink one bottle of Merlot this weekend with a Chinese takeaway. Providing I only drink on one night and drink no more than the one bottle, I will be wheezy the following day, but not so bad that it causes real discomfort. Any more over indulging is proportional to how bad my breathing will get. Before I knew how to control this problem, in years gone by I have been taken to hospital in an ambulance including Christmas day a few years ago.

Can anyone please help or offer any advice!

Have u found out what is going on? I too suffer a few days after a big drunk. Trouble breathing. Strange chest pain.

I drink at least 4 pints everyday, and i do get that acidly feeling in the stomach and its quite hard to breathe but once you puke its back to normal, im guessing this means an alcoholic

I to struggle with breathing difficulties after a night out drinking. I can relate with some of the comments made above; I regularly attend the gym and have also ran half marathons on several occasions; however if I drink on a weekend I'm guaranteed to be short of breath for 1-2 days after the event. Again I only drink one night a week at most and have been to the doctors who have given me blood tests and an ECG etc. which have all come back negative. I’ve taken myself to hospital on two occasions in the past, where my breathing became so laboured I actually thought I was dying. Both times health professionals have sent me away diagnosing the problem as anxiety; however I'm generally quite a relaxed person and find the breathing problem as more of an inconvenience rather than something which frightens me to the point of having a panic attack. I also find that apart from the breathing problem on occasion I also feel faint at stages during the day and that I have to focus not to fall unconscious. I never have fallen unconscious but it is still obviously a concern. I don’t really suffer from any kind of acid or heart burn etc. however I have noticed that the back of my throat does need clearing regularly the next day after a drink. I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone suffering from the same problem or anyone who has been able to diagnose/remedy the problem. I don't think this can be a huge health problem as I’ve been suffering from it for about five years now and I still feel fit provided I don’t drink. It’s maybe just an allergy but it does happen if I drink coffee also?

Hey guys,

I have asthma and the exact same breathing problems and chest pains after drinking. Here is personally what I have related it to: dehydration. Try to drink alot of water the day you know you are going to pound an excessive about of brews. Likewise, I have been to the hospital and come back negative. I have had anxiety attacks which have been horrible. I have to convince myself there is nothing wrong, only anxiety, and someone can not die from that. The breathing problems often center around where i feel an instance of a skipped breath for example. I will continue to assume its the alcohol, but like many, I still have my concerns over the constant chest pains. if you have any questions or want to talk. I know what everyone is going through...

I have the same exact symptoms! Drinking the night before... I'll have a hangover in the morning... But nothing too bad. The real fun starts late that afternoon with wheezing and chest discomfort. Then that night, trying to go to sleep.. I feel like the involuntary mechanism that makes u breathe is broken. I have to "remember" to breath. Then when I finally fall asleep.. I'll wake up panting for breath... Like I stopped breathing. I know that this is 100% due to the alcohol the night before... But sometimes I can drink like a fish and not have he next day symptoms. I have been suffering with this for about three years. My doctor is zero help. I wish someone online would help...

This is the only place on the web where I have found my exact symptoms described... a delayed pain in the chest... apnea... difficulty breathing... not the night of drinking but the following night... 24hrs later... and ever longer than that sometimes... does anyone have any idea wtf is going on?! My doctor is clueless and I am just about to loose it!

Ditto here - if I over consume even slightly (i.e. wake up with headache) then I get chest 'discomfort' around my left hand chest / armpit area around 12-24hrs later. Sometimes tingling sensation down the right arm (ache in wrist / thumb). I too went to doctors - EKG, bloodtests etc etc - all normal so diagnosed as possible anxiety and gave me a leaflet on stress!

I would say I never visited the doctor exactly when suffering from symptoms - you can never get an appointment quick enough. Maybe I should get wrecked the night before once I have an appointment booked and demand an EKG then - I'm almost sure it's something wrong with my heart (sure feels like it anyway!). All in the name of science of course...

It generally clears up by the second day after but odd times I still feel slightly 'off' even days after.

Am fit and healty too - excercise 2-3 times a week. I wish somebody could pin this down.

I am also experiencing this. I get drunk maybe once a week, but last friday i got extra drunk and ended up puking. By sat/sundayish I was noticing a mildly shap pain in the right side of chest. It's monday now and it still hurts... especially when i inhale, making it hard to breathe. Not impossibly hard, but it does concern me. Seems like similar things have happened to others. Should i be worried?!