Hi, I am 67 years old, have chronic arthritos, psoriatec arthritos, Osteoarthritos, borderline diabetic (no medication) very bad circulation, cannot walk very far and use a walker.
About 4 weeks ago I lifted a large rock from the garden (about 4 kg) and dropped it on the lower front leg.(5cm from previous leg ulcer)
It grazed the section of leg 4cmx4cm mostly surface in places a bit deeper. It really hurt, and I cleaned it with bettadene. it started to heal, within a week, then 1 section the deepest started to weep and was vey red around area. A week later I told my doctor, (she didnt look at sore just noticed the red around it an very swollen ankle and foot.) gave me Keflex. Another week getting worse and hurting more, really open sore and I was changing the dressing twice a day, Saw doctor it had a dressing on it but he never looked just could see the red area and it was hot, he put me on penicilin. just finished first course.
Now it is like a hole (half a marble could fit in it, it looks horrible (according to my daughter) I cant see it properly as cant bend my leg or bend forward as have had both knee replaced + right hip replaced that is not stable it pops out often so have to be very careful how far I move.
The dressing looks gross there is a green colour on the pad along with puss and dried blood.
Wont be seeing the doctor till later in week when I will make sure he looks at it.
Any idea what is happinging, my daughter reckens it looks like it has been eaten away. Plus it hurts, I get really sharp pains plus stinging. Not very happy with it. Can you advice please.!!!
thanks nanofnine

That sounds a lot like gangrene. My great-grandmother had it once. It really needs to get treated.

I don't suggest you wait to go in to see the doctor. I think you should get yourself to the emergency room ASAP.

Hi Could your doctor tell you what was wrong because my mom has the same on her foot but it heals then two weeks the hole is back again the doctor calls it "Roos" in afrikaans but nothing helps I really need some advise maybe you could let me know