Over the past several months I have been experiencing a sciatica down my right leg to below the knee while sitting, riding in a car, etc. Sometimes it goes all the way to my foot. When I stand up afterwards, the upper part of my leg near the joint is sore. Could there be a problem in my hip or could it be my lower back? Whatever information you could give me would be appreciated.

Read a book by Dr John Sarno Called healing back pain. Sciatica is your bodies response to repressed emotions. Read it will change you life. I had sciatica for years and now im cured. I know its hard to believe but its true. Read this book you will be thanking god you did.

Get yourself an MRI, ASAP. Then you can stop guessing yourself and know what is exactly wrong! Read my entry and you might understand why.

Absolutly, get an MRI.
Example: My son is 32. He is tall about 6 ft. He was always very thin. His weight used to be 130 pounds. Now, 130 pounds on a 6ft. frame (not so good) Never had a pain at that time. All of a sudden he wants to gain some weight. Boy, did he. A year later, he weighs 210 pounds!! But i gotta say, he looks really good.
Over the last 8 months, as the weight was coming on, his leg and right buttock ached. He said it feels like a throbbing tooth ache.
He went to the Doctor and discovered that his vertabre is compressed, hence the leg and butt pain. The point i'm trying to make is that you may have a serious back problem. His started when he gained the weight.
I forget which discs are bad, but they rub together creating friction, pressing on the nerve (sciatica)