Users comments and reviews on article Hammer toe surgery by SirGan

yes, I have a deformed toes, thats giving me a bit of pain at the mmment. It feels prickly- but usually I only feel pain when walking. Though sometimes, it throbs and wakes me up , and sometimes I cant sleep due to this little irritant.

My daughter has the same toe, and , like my dad did to me, I play with it, You can cross it over her 3rd ote and it stays.

My dD HAS 2 OF THESE little @@@@@@ due to rhemotoid arthrits.

What I was wondering though, could these, congenital deformities be the underlying problem to the way I think.Cope ( ( or not) ...sorry....what I am trying to find out is, if there is a link between foot and brain function. Is there? I also wonder due to the facts that Downes babies are diagnosed in the mothers womb , by examining the unborn babies feet.....so would I be correct in thinking there is a connection? i wonder and want it checked, because I do not want my daughter to feel like I do.

Ive not been able to get out of bed.

I found this article, clear , concise and easy to inderstand.

Since having had that silly putty stuff, my balance has been better. But pain in upper foot. I am scared. I am scared of surgery full stop!

Thank you for posting on this because I was going to ask about someone who had stuff like this and I didn't know what it was. I am also curious about it because I wouldn't think that the toe would make athat much a difference in how you walk but I guess they could. Thanks for letting me know! Do most people opt not to get the surgery?

I had hammertoe surgery 6 weeks ago. I have been back to my surgeon 3 times since my surgery-once just to be checked, once to have stitches removed, and yesterday to have the pins removed. Each time he did x-rays. Yesterday he informed me that I had broken the pins in my left toes. I followed doctors orders closely and have not bumped my feet in any way. He removed the protruding pieces from all of my toes, but left the broken pieces in my left toes.That foot is swollen on top and burns. My question is- Does anyone know if this is a common occurance or could my doctor somehow have been to blame? I thought the pins were made of metal. It seems that they would bend instead of breaking.I have to go back to the doctor in a month. He doesn't seemed concerned about removing the broken pieces, but I don't feel comfortable leaving them in. I don't know if my insurance would pay for removing them; in a case like this. If anyone has experienced this or has heard of anything similar; I would like to hear about it.

I had my hammertoe surgery on 14 July 09 and just recently had my three (3) pins removed three days ago, the 25th of August. I had three pins on my left toes, #'s 2,3 and 4. After my surgery, my doctor put me in a non-walking cast up to my knee and I was firmly instructed NOT to put any weight on the left foot at all. Due to risk of breaking the pins off in my toes, which would entail another surgery to remove them, or even leave them! I was extra careful and truly was non weight bearing for the entire 6 week period.

I know what you feel about the burning and the throbbing, that has been the story of my life for the past 6 weeks and now that the pins have been removed, my toes still throb, feel numb and dead and toes will not bend at all! I am so utterly disappointed with my prognosis, for I thought I would at least be able to walk with the assistance of my crutches and special orthotic shoe and boot. However, this is not the case for me. This is day 3 after pin removal and the pain is sharp and travels up my leg at the mere thought of weight bearing onto my left foot. I've tried and want to walk so I can catch up with all of my house and yardwork, but the pain is more than I can take.

Were you walking on your foot, even with the pins in place? Did you doctor not put you in a non-walking cast after your surgery?? After they removed my pins a few days ago, they allowed me to keep them and I did! I brought them home with me and yes, they are made of steel or some sort of heavy duty metal. They actually pulled mine out with what looked like a pair of surgical pliers, it was God awful I tell you!!! I had never in my life ever had so much pain and I've had 3 children and kidney stones 4 times!!! They did NOT numb me at all, just pulled the pins right out, one right after the other and mine were not loosened up at all! After six weeks, I had tried to turn mine, or at least wiggle them and they never budged at all! I knew that pulling them out was not going to be easy and it wasn't! The tech had to use all of his might to pull them out and I was in tears and shouting with my husband by my side. I imagine if yours were broken off, then you had no pain when they pulled yours out??

If your pins are broken off into your bone, I don't think there is any way for them to remove them is there? I was told NOT to risk breaking them off, because of that serious issue. Your doctor has said merely nothing about the matter...that surprises me and alarms me as to why he/she doesn't have a plan of action in place to handle your pain and current discomfort. Please, keep me abreast on what happens with you and to you.

I wish you luck!

SGT Kimberly Jones
101st Airborne Division

hello i am thinking about getting hammer toe surgery but i am kind of hesitant. I enjoy hiking and camping. but my feet cause me some discomfort. my question to you would be. after your feet healed  were you limited  in any way? should i be concerned about not being able to do some things after surgery?

Don't do it man. The people who get their surgery done are in incredible throbbing pain, not just minor discomfort. You risk many things including the possibility of infection, permanent numbness, reoccuring pain for years after surgery, and even amputation. If your case is a serious one where you cringe before you walk then by all means do so. Just keep in mind doctors are human and are assuming you know what your getting into. Plus they get a really nice paycheck for performing surgery - they get paid with success or failure! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD4FxaUauYM

PLEASE DO NOT HAVE HAMMERTOE SURGERY. I really regret having hammertoe surgery 3 years ago. When I hike the toe/foot hurts as it doesn't bend as there is no joint. So it is a short, stiff toe that hurts on top and bottom as it doesn't bend right now. I didn't have pain prior to the surgery but the doc thought I should have it, I'm SOOOO glad I only did one. There is no need for this surgery unless of course you have pain or are falling down.

this is a fail I am difrigured and crippled

no no no

do not do this surgery.

got this right it is all about cha ching do not care for the human

i was not having major problems just cosmetic now i have major regrets!!!