...This July, I will celebrate my 1 year ACL reconstruction surgery and have for the past several months been suffering from a numbness reaching from my ankle to my foot (same leg as the knee surgery) and I wondered if this my be a possible side-effect of the surgery. I have yet to call my doctor to ask the question and would love any feedback that you may have as a professional. Regards - AltheiaFae

My girlfriend has had two ACL surgeries--one on each knee--and she does have some numbness, but it is up around her knee.

If your numb spot has not turned colors, is not swollen, and does not hurt, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. It probably is some sort of side effect.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

--LinZ

I had ACL reconstruction several years ago. The outside of my knee is still numb, but only in a small area. It doesn't bother me, because it is such a small area. I don't remember the numbness ever going all the way down to my foot though.

I am 3 weeks into the recovery stages from a right knee reconstruction.

I understand the surgery is still quite fresh however I am experiencing numbness from below my knee, all the way down my shin to around my inside ankle of my right leg (I believe there is a nerve that runs down this path in theleg). Sometimes I recieve a sharp burning sensation from this numb area which is a worry. There is no discolouration around the numbness and it does not appear to be swallon.

Does anyone know if this is a common feeling 3 weeks after surgery?

Regards
Daniel

I had an ACL reconstruction and I had a similar numbness on the skin and just below the the skin. My stretched from knee to ankle in a sort of strip.

I talked with my PT about this and learned this IS normal. When they go in, they are moving pieces, including nerves. It's easy for nerves to get damaged, and give yourself another year. It takes time to grow back after nerve damage.

I had similar sensations (or lack thereof) after having ovarian cysts removed (similar to a C-section surgery). The numbness is odd, but it does eventually go away. If it's MUCH deeper than the skin, I'd check with your doctor.

i had a acl reconstrution on my right knee 6 weeks ago and i have a numb patch on my lower of my knee.

is this normal and will the numbness go at all
can any body tell me

My doctor told me that its normal to have a numb spot right on the outside of your incision site and it should go away within a year. If it hasn't within a year though he said it wouldn't go away. Mine hasn't gone away but its only a small spot. I don't know about numbness going all the way to the ankle. I'd talk to your doctor.

well i'm not as far in my recovery as you but i'm still getiing the "falling asleep" feeling in my foot and its even if i just have my leg straight out... nothing is making it bend or anything. I was planning on asking my doc next week....

had numbness in leg from shin to ankle ever since acl recon, 9 months ago...consultant said it is damage to nerve caused by all the pressure from the surgical technique [i.e. he was probably leaning on it]...he said feeling may come back may not

i am in the same situation i have only been out of surgery for 6 days< but i am experiencing numbnes on the left side of my leg from knee to bottom of the shin!  i was never even told that this was a posasible side effect!  someone AKA the surgeons should be responsible for this!  RIGHT?

I had my acl rect and the best wy to recovery into follow through the exercises which works on ur muscles from the very next day orat the earliest. Yes., Im glad to kno abt the numbness, it wsaconcern too. I learnt it takes a looooongtmeto go away. Hp u find this informative.

I am 12 days out from ACL repair using own hamstring.

I have same numbness concerns. Outside of knee as well as right near the inside ankle. Inside of ankle also is tender to touch, like a bruise.
There is some yellowish discoloration of the leg,but no swelling or fever.

Doc and PT says these are all normal.

I had surgery 5 days ago and realizing I have numbness on left side of my leg quite anxious about it glad to hear im not alone was never told of this side affect I go to therapy tomorrow hoping its normal.

My ACL reconstruction was 2 1/2 weeks ago, i started back to work at 2 weeks. The joint feels good, for 2 weeks, however the nerve damage is at times so painful. That burning knife that is almost like a spasm that runs through the numb spot folks are all commenting about. While I understand the numbness will take a while to go away if it does, i am wondering if anyone can comment on the burning. Certain movements when i work or if something comes in contact with it, begins the burn and it increases like a fire growing until it fades to almost nothing but then sits there for a while. Will this take as long as the numbness (up to a year) to improve...if so that is going to be a long year.

thanks

hie.I am yashvarya,19 years,female.I was discovered with a COMPLETE ACL TEAR and the doctor advised me to undergo a surgery.The very word SURGERY scared my soul,it would be kind of you all to please share ur surgery experience.like how long did the surgery went on....was it painful....etc etc.and side effects...recovery time....!! u can either eply here or 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use