I know that Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome is also known as hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. I had to learn as well this is an autosomal dominant disorder identified typically by the triad of telangiectasia, recurrent epistaxis, and a positive family history for this disorder. Problem is that two cousins were diagnosed with this syndrome. Now I am worried and want to hear more about this. I am afraid my children are also at the risk for Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome, so I have to ask you more about this problem.

The major cause of morbidity and mortality due to this disorder is in the presence of multiorgan arteriovenous malformations. Beside this, it is associated with hemorrhage that may accompany them. The disease has a wide spectrum of presentations, where patients may be asymptomatic or have multiple organ involvement, presenting at any age. Treatment mainly is supportive and consists of controlling and treating the bleeding caused by Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome. The prognosis of the disease is good as long as bleeding is promptly recognized and adequately controlled by professionals. The syndrome occurs with equal frequency and severity in both sexes, and is most often presents by the third decade of life. Symptoms vary depending on the area of involvement, but the main areas of involvement are the nasal mucosa, skin, the GI tract, the pulmonary vasculature, and the brain. Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome is caused by an inherited defect on chromosome arm 9q33-q34 and a second on chromosome arm 12q. as well, several mutations of the endoglin gene have been reported in family members affected with Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome.