Hi. I have a dry eye syndrome. The main drain is blocked and I was recommended with dacryocystorhinostomy. Is there anybody with experience who could tell me more about this procedure? What are the advantages and disadvantages of dacryocystorhinostomy? Are they some postoperative complications?

Hi. Dacryocystorhinostomy is a surgical option for everybody with a tearing disorder caused by blockage or excessive tearing. DCR creates a new drainage system. The advantages of DCR are better aesthetic result (no visible scar), it is less bloody, and the perioperative time is shorter. The only disadvantage of DCR is an expensive endoscopic equipment. DCR is performed under local or general anesthesia. After the surgery, epistaxis, cheesewiring of the canaliculi, the sump syndrome, and pyogenic granulomata may occur. If watering persists, it may require another operation.