I am of "advanced maternal age" as they call it when a pregnant mother is over 35, and my OB has already warned me about different birth defects. I then proceeded to do some research on google and came across something called 22q13 Deletion Syndrom. This is very scary! Is it possible to detect 22q13 Deletion Syndrom with prenatal diagnostic testing?

Unfortunately, risk of birth defects does become significantly bigger even with every year after 30. But, my mother was 36 when she was pregnant with me and only thing she had to do was to give up on natural birth for her own safety and they really didn’t have all these methods for prenatal testing that exist today. Of course, it’s wise to use them now. The 22q13 deletion syndrome indeed is scary. It’s caused by an absence of genetic material on chromosome 22 and consequences of that on a baby are various, but all are very serious. The diagnosis is made by determining the 22q13 chromosome region is missing. Sometimes the deletion of chromosome 22 can be seen by a routine chromosome analysis. Often, however, the deletion is difficult to see and a special test called FISH is used and both of these methods are done prenataly.