Hi, my wife is 61 years old, and she broke her arm few months ago. A doctor did some tests, and told her that she has a rapid bone loss. I am worried that this could happen again. He prescribed her some medications, but I’m not sure if they’re going to help her. Is it possible to stop this condition progressing?

Hi, my mother also suffers from rapid bone loss. It is common in postmenopausal women, like your wife and my mother, to lose their bone mass, because their estrogen level is decreasing. That’s why they have to take medications, such as raloxifene. This is a selective estrogen receptor modulator, and it increases the density of bone. Also is important for them to take enough calcium and vitamin D, because these suplements avert rapid bone loss. It is very easy to broke a bone, as you already know. People with rapid bone loss are in risk because it takes only a little pressure to cause a fracture. My mother has some following symptoms, like neck pain and bone tenderness, and she is apparently losing her height.