Hi, my mother is 63, and she suffers from osteoporosis caused by hyperparathyroidism. I am worried about her, because she is not young any more, and she can easily fall and break her bone, especially with these conditions. Is there anybody else who suffers from both these disorders?

Hi, I had hyperparathyroidism for some time before I got osteoporosis. Hyperparathyroidism is a condition when the parathyroid glands are overactive, and relieve too much calcium into the blood. That is how the bones lose calcium, and became weak and fragile. It takes a slightest pressure for osteoporotic bones to break. This is what happened to me, and how I broke my leg. Your mother has to be very careful, because we are in ten times greater danger of fracture than the other people. When I decided to remove the overactive gland, it was too late, becuase I already had the symptoms of osteoporosis. I had this surgery anyway, but I didn’t recover completely.

Looking for information on the overproduction of calcium in the parathyroid which led to osteoporosis - I have all the symptoms, and have had the symptoms since 2003 - just now being told by endocronologist that we have to find out what the source of the high calcium in the blood, no calcium in the bones, any one with the same problem?

Hi Melissa,, I hope by now you have had some more tests, Please see pararhyroid.com......and informative site........this condition requires a routine workup.......but you likely will need surgery to remove the tiny adenomas that are affecting the parathyroid gland or glands... usually always benign. After the surgery Important.... try to get the minimally invasive operation, as referred to in PARATHYROID.COM..... [/url]the calcium is able to get to the bones.........,,know calcium and vitamin d are often prescribed, The tough part is surgery is the recommended treatment to get rid of this problem, and avoid other med problems..ie kidney stones,osteoperosis,,etc..Where are you at in terms of your workup? Try to get a surgeon who does this procedure alot... an expert!!. Good luck, keep us posted............hazey