Hi, I am a 59 years old woman. A doctor prescribed me raloxifene, because I am in risk of getting osteoporosis. I am not sure how will raxolifene help me, what does it do to prevent osteoporosis?

Hello, as a postmenopausal woman, you are in risk of getting osteoporosis, because your estrogen levels are getting lower, and your bones loosing calcium. Raloxifene is a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), and it workes by increasing the density of bone. Your doctor will probably recomand some diets and exercises. You should follow them with no exception, especially because those diets include calcium and vitamin D supplements. It is important to take raloxifene, because osteoporosis can cause broken bones and fractures. It could be difficult for someone over 60, and you are very close to it. You should take raloxifene once a day, at the same time. It can cause some side effects like hot flashes, leg cramps, swelling of the hands and feet. There are also some serious side effects like sudden chest pain or chest heaviness, sudden change in your vision and difficulty breathing.

Check out the side effects of Evista.