Hi, I just came back from the doctor. I am in my thirties and I have never had any serious conditions in my life. But now things have changed. The doctor found a condition that left me breathless. It is a complex cyst that the doctor believes to be an ovarian cystic lesion. In two days I am to go back to the doctor. What should I expect?

I am surprised that the doctor did not tell you the possible diagnose. I suppose that is why he scheduled another appointment so soon. My guess is you have a condition called teratomas. Teratomas are tumors that range from benign to the ones that are solid and malignant. Do not worry. You have a benign one. I concluded that since you have ovarian cystic lesion. Benign teratomas are presented by cystic lesions. However, it must be treated as soon as possible because of the possible complications. Such are: torsion (the most important cause of morbidity), rupture (is rare), infections, hemolytic anemia and malignant degeneration. The last three are extremely rare and have occurred in very small number of patients. After the doctor makes the right diagnosis he will talk to you about necessary treatment. Usually, in the cases of ovarian cystic lesion the treatment is surgical.

I had a pap done last week and the doctor felt something hard, thought it might be a cyst so she sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound. I just got the results today and they had me come in to draw for a quantitative pregnancy test. The U/S results are as follows:

Cervix: A few nabothian cysts are visible.

Ovaries: The right ovary is unremarkable in appearance measuring 2.4 x 1.5 x 1.5 cm for a volume of 1.2 cc. There is a cystic lesion on the left ovary, likely a corpus luteum with a cumulus oophorus. The left ovary measures 3.5 x 2.2 x 2.0 cm for a volume of 8.4 cc. There is normal Doppler flow to both ovaries.

Adnexae: There is no adnexal mass or fluid collection.

Cul-de-sac: There is a small amount of free fluid visible.

Impression: Cystic lesion on the left ovary, likely a corpus luteum with a cumulus oophorus. Small amount of free fluid.

I have no idea what any of this means but my periods have been irregular for at least 6 months and I have pain during my menstrual cycle and after during sexual intercourse with my husband. I have also been experiencing several symptoms of PCOS for the last 6 years.

In April I had an ultrasound that found numerous nabathian cysts and a cyst on my ovary.  I had a repeat ultrasound this week with the following results;

Irregular 12 mm cystic lesion in the right ovary but no mention of Nabathian cysts.  My doctor also had me do a CNA 125 screen which is elevated at 42.8.

How woried should I be with all this?  What are your thoughts?