I am 27 and have ovarian cysts problem since I was 18. They usually come and go actually they go away during my period. But lately my ovarian cysts condition is much worse I miss my period I feel abdominal pain and occasionally have unusual bleeding. My latest ultrasound test showed that my ovaries are of bigger size than it is usually and I’m scheduled also for a needle aspiration.

I have constant problem with ovarian cysts also. Having a cyst doesn’t mean you have ovarian cancer. Cyst is a suck filed with fluid that usually goes out with your period. And as for the needle aspiration I had it once too. No big deal , it’s a procedure that uses a very tiny needle that pull the fluid out of the cysts and afterwards these fluid went examined in order to confirm the presence o cancer cells. If the ovarian cancer is suspected it is likely that you’ll be advised to do some further test that will help in diagnosing a possible cancer: AC125 blood test whose raised levels may indicate ovarian cancer but also may indicate some other condition even a pregnancy and an ultrasound test which examine the size and texture of your ovaries as well as the solid cysts.

i havent had a period in 4 mounths resently i found out some of my hormone levels are too high and i have ovarian cysts. is this all related? whats going on and what do i do?

I am 21 years old, and have had 2 surgeries recently to have 2 rather large cysts removed (laproscopamy-sp??) One was on Oct. 5 (it was big, 13 by 12 cm and it got to that size very quickly) and then I started having pains only two months later, and I find out I have another one (7 by 8 cm). I had to have both removed. The first surgery went fine. Now, the second one, was HE**. Afterwards, my abdomen became bruised and BADLY swollen (the doctor said, in so many words, that they "sealed me up" before enough of the air and gas (they balloon you up during a laproscopamy) was out of me)It literally looked like there was a football in the right part of my abdomen, which in itself was a "mystery" according to the doctors, because the cysts were both on my left side!! I had never been in so much pain in my life. The doctor then decided to put me on birth control. But since the 2nd surgery, I have had numerous health problems, and the doctors don't seem to think it has anything to with the surgery, but I think it's odd how everything started immediately after that second surgery. Pains in the legs was the main thing (they found no blood clots) and numbness/tingling. So, I tried the birth control briefly, but it made me feel very sick (possibly to do with whatever else is going on with me).
Now, it is not even two months later from the second surgery, and I am getting horrible pains on BOTH ovaries. I know what they cysts feel like, now and am positive I have another one (possibly one on both sides. I am terrified to go through another surgery so soon. I am somewhat on the small side, and I'm afraid how my body will react this time to yet another surgery. The last one was terrible (even my reaction to the anesthetic the last time was bad-I passed out numerous times after I got home from the hospital)
I am posting this (sorry for the length of it) because I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of surgery numerous times within a period of less than 6 months (from the pains I am having, I am pretty certain I will need another surgery with a month-it is the same as last time)
Also, what can they give me besides birth control? I am going to get a second opinion as well, because after how horrible the last surgery was I am thinking about going to a different doctor.
Both of the cysts were benign (the first one was a "simple" one, only fluid. The 2nd was "complex")
Am I at risk for ovarian cancer? I want to have kids, but am I better off having both ovaries removed? I mean, I don't want to be gettting surgery every 2-3 months.
Any advice would be helpful, as I am very scared about this. I don't want to get surgery again-I'm still not fully recovered from the last one because of all the complications. But it looks like theres no other option. For whatever reason, these cysts grow rapidly.

hey threre i too suffer from ovarian cysts i had one ruptur in 2004 i hemraged and went to the nearest hospital and had er surgery, it sucked recovery was like 2 weeks or so, i also have diverticulitus i had a colon resection in 1997 my large intestine ruptured, so if im not careful what i eat my stomach literaly kills me for days.. i went for another ultrasounf a week ago and i have a cyst on my right ovary 5.67 in size, it causes severe leg pain and cramps, headaches, nausea, bloating, a whole bunch of sh*t. My doc is starting me on another birth control called triphasil, and i do not do good on pills at all, so lets pray this works you know, also draining cysts and having them removed should be your last option because it causes over scaring, and i say it causes more cysts to come back sometimes quicker you know, i would go to another doc get a 2nd op maybe even a 3 rd thats what i did, and hes great, everytime i go to him he does an ultrasound, and pap and pelvic , so i suggest that def,im only 23 i know what your all going through belive me....

You guys are not alone. I started having bad pain about 4 years ago, I got an ultrasound and it showed a complex cyst on each ovary. one was as big as a babies head! i had to have one ovary removed, and they took the cyst off the other. I never got better, after a vaginal ultrasound, they discovered cysts were back on both sides (even where the ovary was removed, and my tubes were swollen too. I had a full hystorectomy. For another year after that I suffered with horrible pain. my lower back hurt constantly and my front hurt too if i did any kind of activity. the doctors all said it was just scar tissue. i finally had another specialist get involved. he did a pelvic catscan, with and without contrast. (that is an important difference, it shows alot more, and found out i had ovary remenants that grew new cysts, these cysts were pressing up again my bowels and my ureter (the tube that goes from your kidneys to your bladder I think) which made my kidneys swell. I guess that i why i had so much back pain. they did another surgery to try to remove the cysts and any ovary remnants that could be causing them to grow. That was in Jan 06. Now we are in April of 2007, my back pain and abdominal pain is as bad as ever and I am scheduled to have another surgery on April 9th. Apparently my insides are so messed up there were still remnants of my ovaries left behind still. So now I have more cysts again. I have tried birth control pills to shrink them, antibotics, and also shots of Lupron. I think the Lupron might have slowed down the growth rate but nothing has stopped them completely. I take 15 mg of percocet every 3 hours during the day which is way more that i should be taking but the pain is so bad i cannot function otherwise. Anyway that is my story, I wish I could give you guys a solution but the only advice I have is this, try Lupron shots, they helped my a little and also get a pelvic catscan with and without contrast, they were able to show my doctor alot of stuff the other tests missed. Best of luck to you all.

I also suffer from Ovarian Cysts. I had surgery about a month ago to remove 3 cysts. I am now in the same pain again. They told me about 5 months before I had surgery that I had PCOS and Insulin Resistance. I am only 26 years old with one child. I don't want to have all my stuff taken out because I want more children but I don't know what else to do.

Since Ovarian Cysts seem to be caused by a lack of the Hormone Progesterone, is it possilbe that Ovarian Cysts are an indication of an imbalance of the Thyroid - which would control all hormone levels.

From what i can ascertain an ovarian cyst is caused by an egg not fully being released by the ovary therefore it could be a LACK in estrogen or TO MUCH progestrone. In my case my hormones are "normal" however at a certain time when the egg is being released either the progestrone kicks in to early or the estrogen dies down to early therefore causing a cyst to occur.
It is best to talk with your doctor but try NOT ovulating for a few months whether on the pill or through progestrone creams through day 10-15 of your cycle...
Everyone is different so this work work for everyone but talk to your doctors about all this and if you dont get the annswer you like or you were looking for then definately go for a second opinion.
Im always of the assumption that people know there bodies better than doctors, and something that may not be "normal" to a doc might be "normal" for your body...
I hope this helps at least one of you out there...