On my last pelvic ultrasound my doctor discovered ovarian enlargement. He said that it looks like mass. I felt no pain or any other symptoms. Is this normal or abnormal appearance? Is it possible that I have a cyst? One of my work colleagues had terrible experience with cysts. I am worried about that.

Most ovarian enlargements are discovered on pelvic examination or ultrasound. It is important to take into account that the ovary in a reproductive woman undergoes monthly egg formation, ovulation and corpus luteum formation in normal physiology. Follicles may be normal up to 2.5 centimeters in size and should not be called cysts of the ovary and corpus luteum size may easily reach 3 -3.5 centimeters and still consider as normal. Simple cystic masses in reproductive age women that are less than 8 centimeters in size should be followed for at least 4 to 6 weeks to see if there is regression in the size of the cyst.