My daughter had pain in her abdomen and problems when urinating, so she visited doctor. He confirmed, after some diagnostic methods that she has ovarian cysts. I know very little about all this, and I don’t understand why she got it. I would like to know more about ovarian cysts. Also I want to know which diagnostic method is the best to definitely confirm if those are cysts or something else.

A cyst is a fluid-filled sac, which can be located anywhere in the body. On the ovary, there are different types of cysts that could form. The most common type of ovarian cyst is called a functional cyst. These cysts often form during the normal menstrual cycle. Each month, a woman's ovaries grow tiny cysts that hold egg. When an egg is mature, the sac breaks open to release the egg. Then the sac should dissolve, but in one type of functional cyst, called a follicular cyst, the sac doesn't break open to release the egg and may continue to grow. This type of cyst usually disappears within few months. Since ovarian cysts may not cause symptoms, they are usually found during routine pelvic exam. During this exam, doctor is able to feel the swelling of the cyst on the ovary. Once a cyst is found, the doctor may perform an ultrasound. Ultrasound is diagnostic method which uses sound waves to create images of the body. With an ultrasound, the doctor can see how the cyst is shaped, its size and location, and whether it’s fluid-filled, solid, or mixed.