My Grandmother has taken 3 60mg oxycontin and a couple vicodin if needed a day for eight years now. Her doctor has randomly cut her back to 3 40mgs a day and 2 vicodin a day. He told her he is worried about her becoming dependent but damn she has been on it for so long and she is so old so whats the point of making her suffer now. anyways, he told her that taking one oxy is like taking 18 vicodin at once. I have never heard that. Does anybody know if that is true or not? How can you compare the 2 against eachother or can you? I thought oxy is like synthetic heroin and vicodin is hydrocodone.

A 60 mg tablet of Oxycontin is equivalent to 20 percocet. The active ingredient ( oxycodone) is almost equal to Vicodin ( hydrocodone). Hydrocodone is 3/4 as potent as oxycodone. Sometimes the physician lowers the dosage or changes the drug in order to determine the side effects that may arise. It's a way of determining what the patients tolerance actually is. What the physician is saying is true