I'm 16 and I've only had 5 periods. Pads are really annoying and since my periods are unpredictable, I don't know when it will come. If I don't have pads on me I'm screwed because all my friends use tampons. I went and bought some regular size tampons cause it's about to be summer and it seems like a good time to learn, although I'm a big baby when it comes to pain. So I'm naturally really scared to use them. I've learned how to insert them and take them out, and what size to use for my first time. But since nothing has happened down there I don't know if it will hurt. I'm really afraid of how much this will hurt and need to know how, if possible, to prevent pain. Help?

Hi Guest,

It shouldn't hurt you at all, if it does, you are doing something wrong.  It is very narrow and soft so usually doesn't hurt.  If you are really nervous take an ibuprofen which will take some of the pain away and is also an anti-inflammatory.

Just relax when inserting and sort of squat and open your legs (thighs) to make the insertion easier.

Good luck and hope this helps

You can also get some ky jelly or some sort of vaginal lubricant to help your tampon slide in easier.

Wasn't my post, just letting her know as well as you. Thanks