well i think i have started my period.....there has been blood on my underwear and stuff....but i dont know how to tell my parents!

Oh shush! Do you think they wont understand what one is or something?! hehe don't worry! it will be fine, quite a tender mother-daughter "welcome to the world of womanhood!" chat.

Don't worry about it! they're your parents :-D

I am in the same boat, I woke up and found ALOT of blood when I went to the toilet (from what ive read im going to have heavy periods). My mum doesnt live with me and we havnt been in touch for 2 years. My dad knows im due and jokes about it when I have stomach pains but I can tell he is worried and nervous. I have 3 brother and two of them are younger than me and im afraid my dad will be angry with me. I dont feel comfortable with telling any of my teachers and I am only really close with one of my aunts so I know my dads going shopping tomorrow and was gonna call her so she can help me break it to him but what if shes not home and calls my house later, my dad will be so mad. Any advice would be welcome and good luck to you girl!

Sweetheart! 1st of all welcome to becoming a woman!! 2nd of all your dad will DEFINITELY not be mad, he might be a little uncomfortable - just because his little girl is now a woman. What you need to do is this, take your dad to the side and say "Dad I am now a woman, and I need you to take me to the store so I can get somethings for myself! Could you give me some money please so you don't have to be embrassed?" I think he will GLADLY give you the money and not say too much :$ Even though it can be unsettling for you both, he also realizes that you are old enough to become a woman. He has probably gone on another website to see how to deal with it too! :-D So the 1st thing you need is sanitary napkins, I wouldn't suggest tampons just yet, till you are comfortable with the whole scenario. When you 1st start your period they are usually heavier, they do eventually calm down a little. So I would suggest for you to get 2 types of napkins. The 1st with wings - these are FAR better for protecting your underwear. And then a MAXI pad with wings for night time. Because you are sleeping for over 8 hours, you need more protection. Make sure you shower everyday, and keep the area clean, do not use powder down there OK. So if you keep the area clean, and change your pad as needed, you will get through this 1st one! And your dad will probably need a drink ;-) When you look for the pads/napkins, make sure there are ones with a little pocket, so you can roll up your old one, put it in the packet and throw it in the recepticle. Also keep a bag or can for you only in your bedroom. This way all the guys in the house will also not have to know everytime it is that time of the month. Then you can secretly empty it when no one is home. 2 both of you girls, you are now women. It is something your parents and father have been expecting. It's uncomfortable, but at the same time it's a change in your life. And who better to know that then the people that love you. Just know EVERY girl will go through it and EVERY woman HAS! Good luck to both of you

Thanks, I felt better after reading that and told my dad, when I told him I thought he would be mad he just laughed. He did say he felt a bit uncomfortable but cracked a couple of jokes to make me feel better. He went to the shop and got me pads, it is really heavy right now and when I stand up its just ewww. I am going to my aunts tomorrow anyway and I am gonna ask her to go to the shop with me, im to afraid to go by myself for this, coz I only have 4 left and since it just keeps getting heavier I think it will last for like 10 days. I RUINED my pj bottoms, underwear and sheet last night, I even had to flip my mattress! I dont think its strong enough absorbency, I had 14 to start with and its not even lunch in the 2nd day! Sorry if its to much info but I dont know what to do, is this all normal? Thanks again bambi, you really helped

Hi Hon: The 1st time around is always the strongest time. Lets face facts, you've never seen this before! Depending on your age, you might have to use a tampon. They make tampons for young girls, usually you change them every 2 to 3 hours. Same with a pad, the flow is about the same for 3 -4 days then it gets less and less till the 7 days are up. Write this down so you know that about 28 days from now you will be expecting your next one. At the beginning, your periods can be really wonky! So ALWAYS be prepared. If you don't have a purse, GET ONE!! this way it can always have some sort of protection in it. Also your school should have some in the washroom. The only thing is they are usually as useless as a boob on a bull . If I were you, get your aunt to get you SUPER absorbent pads with wings. Your dad probably just grabbed whatever he could get int the cart as quickly as possible LOL!!! Another thing, DON'T flip your mattress!!! The stain will just set in, and blood stains are terrible to get out. The best thing to do, is use a towel underneath you. But if you wear 2 - not on top of each other just like this -- inside your underpants, and with the wings, it should give you protection, make sure the last pad goes up further behind you, so when you are sleep the blood will be caught by that pad - due to gravity right? Rinse anything that is blood stained in COLD water, NEVER hot. Rinse it through and then either wash it by hand or throw it in the washer. Anything with Oxygen in it will do the trick. Also medically be careful not to exert yourself too much at the beginning, you loose quite a bit of blood, and if you take a multivitamin with iron it - for teenagers - that will help you with blood loss. As you get older you only loose about 2 tablespoons of blood. EVEN though it feels like 2 litres. I remember my 1st time - I think EVERY women can remember theirs! You are like "OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE!!!!!" And Voila! You don't LOL It takes a bit of getting used too, but you can do it. If you think this is bad, WAIT till you have a baby Anyway best of luck to you sweetheart, just remember too much protection is FAR better than not enough!! I think any woman you talk too has a horror story about being caught off guard!!! And now with my help you wont be one of them

Hey again, thanks bambi. Im 13, this is my first time so I dont feel comfortable using a tampon, maybe next time... I have school today!! A have a purse at the bottom of my bag with everything in it, my dad wrote me a note so I dont have to do pe (it just says I hurt my ankle though). I rinsed all of my stuff in cold water then put it in the washer, thanks bambi, youve been a great help! xx

Hi Hon! Yes 13 is too young - as far as I'm concerned anyway - for tampons. Wait till your a little older for that, once your protected you don't have to miss PE! I used too when I was your age, but I had TERRIBLE pains with it. Just one other thing, if you DO suffer from pain before your period. Either Pamprin or Midol, can really help you! A lot of girls can get headaches, backache, pain in the pelvis and hips. AND moodiness, that your dad and brothers are SOON to find out the hard way!!! ;-) XD You sound so much better!!! I am glad! You seem to have everything under control! And now you know that GOD is TRULY a MAN!!!! ;-) A woman god would NEVER do all this to us LOL XD Welcome to womanhood sweetheart. You have a great dad by the way!

Yeah, thanks, my dad has been awesome about this. Cramps are why I couldnt do pe, its painful when I move around alot... theres another problem, my teacher doesnt believe me, she said exercise is meant to help with cramps and expects me to do pe tomorrow, but im in pain! I am feeling alot more confident about it now though :-) Ive had it a week now but cramps are only just starting to kick in? My flow is medium-ish now, but its gets really slow at night, not that im complaining :-)

Should be all over soon - just intime for the next one XD It is true that being physical can help with the pain. But as you will find out - if you continue to suffer from PMS that many women don't get PMS and have LESS empathy then men do! I used to have it so bad that I couldn\t stand upright! A hot water bottle on your stomach and back will help. What you should do, is ask to talk to the PE teacher alone. And say to her the following "Miss I know you don't believe me about the pain I am in, but what I feel is real! This is my first period and I am trying to deal with it the best way I know how! This is all new to me, and your help and understanding right now would GREATLY be appreciated, you know about my situation at home, so some female support would be great!" If she doesn't accept that, say this "Obviously you have never had to deal with this kind of cramping, so I think we need to go and talk to the principle and have my dad come down too! Because I am NOT lying, I AM in a lot of pain and if you don't believe me I will have to call my dad and have him talk to you"

I tell you kiddo, I wish I HAD said the above to my gym teacher when I couldn't move without having accidents! She was a COW!!!! So now you are a "woman" show her and others your maturity and then she will back off. If not you will have to involve your dad and the principle. This way she will know you are serious. Also you can always tell her to get on here and I will tell her! ;-) >;)

Lol, she backed off when my dad wrote another note threatning to get me to tell my head of year why she is an all around bad teacher (she ignores cheating, says other teachers are rubbish and laughs when someone gets hurt) and have her sacked. I sure hope it ends soon, ive gotten so used to it I cant feel it and dont realise I need to change the pad after ive overflowed, its horrible :-( Im hoping the next ones arent as bad but can your flow be genetic? My moms were heavy too, and as she got older she got bad cramps, it worries me incase that will happen to me too, but if it does im prepared :-)

heyya bambi
im 13n i avnt started ma period yet is that a good or bad thingand im kinda scared ov startin ma period and i kida dunno how totell my mum shes not that type ov person lol she never takes anything i say kinda seriouse u no wot i m,ean i hope yhoo do xx
p.s i hope you can help xxx :$

Hey, My name's niamh and i started my period today %-) i am acctually quite happy about it. I havnt told anyone yet, im scared, but i wanna tell my boyfriend 8-| Any ideas on how to tell him?? Thanks Byee . :-D

Hi honey! actually he doesn't really need to know! My sons get MORTIFIED about periods - even though we have openly talked about sexual health all their lives! Its just a private thing honey! you dont need to wear a banner!!! o.O XD Just tell your mom so she can get you the right protection! good luck honey!

ummm......I told my parnets that i found blood on my underwear but now i feel really weierd expecially scince i was not expecting it I dont know what to do ? :$