Ive been using pads ever since i got my period. Ive had it for about 3 years now, im 15 years old. I want to try using a tampon. I tried one yesterday, although it hurt a bit, when i sat straight. It was also uncomfortable to remove. I am a virgin, and im pretty small down there. I use kotex clicks, which are meant for begginers :$ haha, i just want to know if pads or tampons are better :) Also with a pad, i HATE the rush of blood that fills up tha pad as soon as you stand up !

If you are a virgin I suggest you only use pads.

Hi. My name is Elaine. I am a registered nurse and one of the beinggirl.com women's health experts and think I can help. It sounds like you haven't given up on tampons yet, so perhaps some additional information will be helpful. As you may know from what tampon users say, a totally inserted tampon is not felt and, therefore, is very comfortable. The Tampax Training Camp videos are well work watching, as you make your way to being a tampon users. You can get to them at http://www.beinggirl.com/article/tampax-training-camp-videos/ http://www.beinggirl.com/article/how-to-insert-a-tampon/ is another page worth checking out for help with insertion. But if you are doing it right and cannot insert a tampon it may be that your hymen, the thin membrane partially covering and protecting the opening to your vagina may be too small or too tight to allow the tampon in. If this is the problem you may have to stretch this opening. You can try with a little bit of K-Y Jelly on the tip of the applicator...the more you practice the more you will stretch the hymen. If you cannot stretch it yourself, you may want to ask your doctor for help. Importantly, Importantly, tampon insertion should be tried when you have your period. As you make your way to selecting the best tampon for you, there are some features of Tampax Pearls and Tampax Radiants that make these very special tampons. The shape of the vagina is flat. Many women find this surprising. We don’t see the vagina so it isn't uncommon we don't realize our vagina is flat. Tampax Pearl and Tampax Radiants were developed to be unique tampons. Each naturally fits a woman’s “flat” interior by expanding in width to better align with the space and the shape of the vagina, ensuring maximum protection and comfort. Most tampon brands that are manufactured to fit a “round” vaginal opening and may not provide optimal comfort, fit, and protection. Hope this is helpful! Elaine Plummer

Great advice Elaine! I have a different take on the tampon vs pads debate! When I was your age I would loose SO much blood that I was contstantly having accidents, my mom didn't believe in tampons as "Only bad girls use them!" back then they didn't have the trial ones or the young teens one. It was after a HORRIBLE EMBARRASSING accident at school, did a friend of mines mom showed me how to use one! I told my mom that I NEEDED to use tampons. To tell you the truth, I've never really like them! IF you insert them, just a bit off, it's SO uncomfortable! If I were you I would use pads - when you don't need the added protection etc - and tampons for heavy periods, and also if you are doing sports etc. There are pros and cons for both! Whatever helps you get through the puberty years, then use that item! Start out with the smallest thinnest tampon and when your body is used to it, then try larger - if needed! Use the least amount of absorbancy and size that you can get away with! This way you wont end up accidentally tearing your hymen - which is VERY distressing to many young girls! hope that helps!? It's what YOU are comfortable with and what YOU need!