I got my first ever period last month and I had white gooey stuff coming out before I got it for a long time and then after I got my period I figured it would stop but it didn't. Is that okay? Or is it something like a yeast infection? 

Also, I was just at a sleepover with one of my best friends and she brought up how she loves tampons apose to pads. I obviously only have ever used pads and that was a real inconvience because I am SUPER active! My friend said I should try a tampon because they're so great for sports but I don't know. I have only had one period so I don't really think I should start using a tampon yet. But on the other hand volleyball is just about to start and I made the club team and I really hate having pantie lines in my booty shorts! (it really sucked because I had my period for my tryout!!) So when is the right time to start using one? My friend really talked them up and my sister uses them so all I've heard is good things!

Thanks!

That white gooey stuff is just discharge, it's perfectly normal.

And for tampons, I've personally never used them before. All I know is that they are very nice, since no one see that you are using anything to help with the bleeding. They can be uncomfortable at first, though. Especially if your hymen is still present and not broken. You could try them at one point, but for now I'd stick with pads. You have to be more careful with tampons.

Yes, definitely you should not be that scared because this is a discharge that you are dealing with.

I don't like using tampons.  I am 24 years old and I rather avoid to swim or something that requires using tampons. 

But if you really want to wear tampons instead of pads, that should be your decision and I can't tell you when to do that. The only true and correct answer is - when you are ready to wear them. 

My friend was sure that she wants to use them and that this is the best option, but she was a virgin as well when she was using them and she felt a really huge pain. It is not like you can lose your virginity, but it can be painful.