My daughter is 13 and has had her period for 2 years.  She hates using pads and really wants to switch to tampons.  I have bought her the smallest applicator kind, but she is struggling.  She can get the applicator in but, when it comes to pushing the 'plunger' to release the actual tampon, she says it hurts and she can't get it any further.  My feeling is that this is probably just due to her tensing up with anxiety, and that she just needs to relax, but could there be anything else going on?  I don't remember having any real difficulty when I started using tampons - certainly nothing like this (she has been trying for a couple of cycles now).

I really want to help her, and she's getting upset and frustrated because she's so desperate to be rid of the "horrible pads" (her words).  I had a hysterectomy 12 years ago and can barely remember what it was like to have to think about this stuff!  Any help, advice or similar experiences that I can share with her would be hugely appreciated.

Moletta

Hi.

I have a teen daughter as well but I think that pads are better options than using tampons. Maybe this is just me, but I really don't like tampons. I have this constant fear that something can go wrong about this whole situation. 

Anyway, she asked me about tampons because she had her period when she was going to vacation with her friends. I went to the shopping mall with her and I told her that she should take some smaller, regular size. We took two different sizes and I told her how she should use it. I told her to lie down and then to put a tampon inside. She had two different sizes of tampons, so she was able to understand which size is the best for her.

Try to explain to her that she should not have fear when she is trying to use tampons.  

hi,

i am 14 and have had my period for almost a year, mabey she should try to sit on the toilet for a few minutes, read a book or somthing, it will help her relax, and after she feels she i relaxed try again, if it does not work, try it after taking a bath, of just make her read the instructions, i am really trying to help, but my mom was not there to help me at all, i was alone when i got my period. so i am horrible at how to explain stuff, but i agree, she needs to relax, and that will do wonders, are you using carboard of plastic applicators? because i find the plastic ones are easier. hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply, it's good advice and I will pass it on to my daughter.  She is using the plastic applicators, but it's good to know that they're the easiest.  I'm sorry that you didn't have anyone to advise you, that must have been scary.  You seem like a pretty switched on kid though, who has coped with it amazingly well.

Thanks again.  It's all so long ago for me that it's hard to remember what it was like being a young girl, dealing with all this stuff for the first time.  It's really good to get the perspective of someone near my daughter's age.

no problem, and yes, the plastic are much easier. hope she has better luck this time :-P

Hi there! I agree she needs to try to relax. Even after 10 years of me using them, if I am tense it doesn't work out. Also, there needs to be a heavy enough flow, or lubrication of other sort. If it's totally dry down there getting it where it needs to be is difficult. Have her look over the instruction in the box as much as she needs to, and mention to her to pay attention to the angle it is inserted.

I just had my first daughter after 2 boys and I can see myself consulting boards like this in several years! lol :)

good luck to her, and patience to you! teehee.