My name is Skylar and I am 13 years old. I am on my 1st period ever, and I have some questions.

1. Are pads or tampons safer for my first period? I read online that I should use a pad first, but can I please get experienced clarification on this? (Help from someone who has had their period for over a year!!!!!!)

2. When will I be able to use tampons? I have a friend, Gabbie, and she is 14. Gabbie has had her period for about a year and a half. She says that she uses tampons, but she told me that I should wait a year to use tampons. Although I'm pretty sure that she is right, can you help???

Thanks a lot, I will ask my mom but please help quickly!

By the way, I'm currently using pads but my mom has a tempting package of tampons that I want to try. Please let me know!! I don't want to hurt myself if tampons aren't safe yet. Thanks a LOT in advance!!!