I was in a car accident in 1995. I was off from work for about 3-6 months. I was told that I was fine to return to work. Over the years my back pain increasingly became worse. If you are in an accident, be sure to have your attorney include medical care for future problems if they should come up later on. The insurance companies are in a hurry to send you back to work. There doctors will always seen you back sooner than later. I went to all kinds of therapy, lost weight, nothing seem to help. I had about 3-4 MRI's and 5-6 X-rays years prior to surgery. I had a spinal fusion on January, 2010. I thought long and hard before having surgery. I had put it off several times. Diagnosis: Severe degenerative disc disease affecting L4-L5 intervertebral disc associated with radial disc tear and large central disc protrusion. Also, moderate degenerative disc changes affecting L4-L5 and L5-S1 facetted joints bilaterally. The surgery took 6 hours and I was in intensive care 24 hrs. following surgery. I was told by the doctor that he had to replace L3-L5, because it was worse than he thought it was.  He also indicated that arthritis had completely taken over my back. I was in rehab for about 7 days. I receive intensive therapy in rehab and at home. I also had outpatient therapy. I work real hard to improve my walking and balance. I would tell the doctor that I was still in pain when I would go for my follow-up appointment. He would just say that the x-rays looked fine. Sometimes I felt like he thought I was lying about the pain. After my surgery, I was never able to return to work. I had to retire earlier than I planned. My pain is worse than it’s ever been. My pain is in left and right side of my scar and when I push gently it feels so bruised and my ankles goes stiff at times. Sometimes when I lift my bottom up while lying in bed, roll on my side at night or stand up I feel a pushing sensation in my back like a bone or something is pushing forward. The side where they cut into the bone for the graft still feels like it has not healed. I ended up with nerve damage in both legs, at times I feel like my feet are heavy or severe tingling pain down my back legs. I’m taking Percocet for pain and Neurotin for the nerve damage. I have gone through pain management, which they have inserted steroids into my back. I have gone to physical therapy, dynamic rehabilitation and acupuncture since the surgery. I take medication every 4-6 hrs for pain. I am in constant pain. I become depressed because 80% present of my life is spent in pain. I hate to think that I will have to take medication for the rest of my life. I've gain weight because it hurts to bad to exercise and don't try to bend down for anything. I walk with a cane when I go out because my balance at times is off or I become tired easily and I need it for support. I feel worse now than I did before having the surgery. My life feels like it's been put on permanent hold. I'm become so discourage, thanks for God, prayer and my grandchildren. They are the only things that keep me going

I hear YA, same thing here but surgeries in 08 & 09 4 level fusion with hardware. I just stopstopped taking opiates because I moved & tired of DRs! There has to be something to get our lives back!!!