for last week or so I have been having pain on the left side of my adam's apple. No lump but sore to swallow. Feels as if "clogged" in throat. Went to dr he said perhpas throat ulcer should clear up in two weeks or sooner. If not will then run additional tests. I feel like I should be doing something more. Get scared with the unknown and just don't feel like it is an ulcer - not that I have had one before. Any thoughts? 49 year old female. Thank you kindly for your time.

not sure if this is helpful at all but I've got kinda the same thing going on. first of all i don't have an Adams apple but if i did it would be just to the right of it. when i swallow, it hurts.. not like a sore throat but on the inside. like when you drink a large gulp of pop and theres a bunch of fizz you and you swallow more than what fits... eventually after lots of testing and poking about i learned that it was only with COLD things (ice water etc).

i haven't been to the doctor, but I've decided that i probably hurt that little muscle in there propping my head up watching a xena marathon for several hours from my bed. (geeky i know). and it only hurts if its cold stuff because it tightens up that muscle... all the cold directly on it.. so if thats close to what you've got going on maybe it'll be helpful... just keep in mind this is totally my own answer and i have not gone to a doctor.. and probably wont cuz it seems to be going away.

I had the same issue and went to a ear, nose, throat doctor who slid a thin tube with a light to take a look. It turns out I have mild reflux and it caused the opening to my esophagus to get sore and put pressue on my Adams apple when I swallow. He prescribed some medicine, including over the counter Prilosec and a list of foods and things to avoid eating and drinking. Also, you should not lay down or sleep 3 hours after eating. You should avoid acid foods, caffeine, alcohol, soda, mint, pizza, heavy fats, and a bunch of other foods. I haven't bought the drugs but started watching what I ate and drank and when I ate to avoid sleeping right after eating and I felt almost instant relief from the swallowing issue.

I have a sharp poking pain in the middle of my throat, I would say very close to adam`s apple. I don`t have a problem swallowing. The pain is sharp but comes and goes. It has been with me for the past three weeks.
The doctor gave me azithromycin but it seems ineffective. Any ideas what this might be.

ive been having this pain for about a week in a half i had colon cancer back in 1996 went through the chemo. and came out clean a whisle now im scared of what they might find .plus i dont have inshurance any more. and going to the dr. is like 80 bucks to send me to the xray place and thats gonna be thousands. i just dont have the money to do this specialy if its just a virus. does any one have an idea of what this is. its also afecting my voise in a very slight way as well

Reverend Black -- I have something similar, and I'm being investigated for Thyroid nodules. I have very specific alternative symptoms though -- heart palpitations, heat flashes, fatigue, slight depression and weight gain. If you're still having problems, I would get it investigated, no matter what the cost. Afterall -- life is precious and priceless as I'm sure you know!

This mystery throat phenomenon can be related in general to inflammatory issues in the area of the "adam's apple" or other parts of the throat. Indeed, after vomiting many people experience something similar to the individual posting about acid reflux. The inflammation can put pressure on muscles and ligaments, which will become sore and eventually ache. It would be helpful and recommended if your doctor could make visual confirmation of this before ruling out other, more sever conditions, such as a thyroid issue. However, please know that a thyroid issue may not result in pain for some time where as local acute inflammation will be immediately noticeable and annoying.

Good luck.
if you have drug or "miracle cure" questions/skepticisms. Because everyone should.

I have/had this same issue ongoing for about 2 years now. The pain comes and goes and it feels like my throat is tighting up. I went back to my ENT doctor this week and he things its a virus of some kind, he had a name for it but I cant remember what it was. He presribed some steriod type medicine. Once I get done taking the meds, ill report back.

Sorry, but did you die or what? You last posted in July that you would write back. Im experiencing the same problem right now. I noticed it this morning when I woke up and felt a moderate ache in my throat. It hurts to swallow and move to my head to extreme positions. It is not a usual sore throat, but rather it feels like someone punched me in my adam's apple. It's nearly 24 hours later and it's keeping me worried about what it could be. Im a 29 year-old male who doesnt smoke and is otherwise very healthy.

im experiencing this pain right now.. it started this past sunday. and it isnt extreme pain, but when i lie down with my head turned right the pain seems to get worse. 19yr old male. should i go to the doctor?

I spoke to a Doctor and she believes that my Trachea was bruised while eating/swallowing and it should resolve quickly. She said this is fairly common. However, she ask also if I had anything with bones in it recently (fish, chichen), because if there was a tear in my throat the food could be emtpying into my lungs. So she told me if it does not clear up in 3 days, I need to get an esophagogram to make sure it is not a tear. To me, it feels like someone punched my in the adams apple.

throat pain for 3 month. nhs dr are like cows ! thay dont undrstand anything! thay just sit there do nothing ! & thay think thay can cure everything with pills ! send me to an ENT specialist (which i had to wait 45 days for my appointment) he didnt undsrand what is the problem. 3 month of pain & swallowing problems. am going to see an ENT specialist in Private soon. it will cost me £250 & am unemplyed as well but have no choice ! NHS is done nothing for me ! thay treated me like sh*t !

I started getting this pain 3 weeks ago, and it will not go away. It came at the exact same time as my spring allergies, so I thought it was drainage issues, because I also feel a like drainage from my ear canal or something. I have been reading on here and other sites of symptons matching these (like those in the Original Posting, but found no diagnosis. Does anyone know what the story is?? Is something going around, or are these just a typical signs of something bad, like throat cancer, or a new strain of a virus yet detected???

I'm in the same boat you are. Started getting adam's apple swallowing pain that was worse when I sneezed. Last night while drinking a glass of water - my adams apple REALLY started to hurt. Then for the rest of the night it was just sore when I had to swallow. Going to let it ride for 1 or 2 more days - then I guess I will see my Dr. But mine kicked in about the time of the 1st allergy attack of the season when all the yellow oak pollen started to come out.

I've had this before. It seems to come and go when I get a cold or if my allergies act up. When I shien a light into the back of my throat I can see little white ulcers. They look like little scabs in the back of my throat. Sometimes when I'm a little more under the weather, or I've been stressing my body out too much from lack of lseep or sickness, they are worse and stay with me for a few weeks. Other times just a day or so. This current streak has been a couple of weeks. It felt like both sides of my throat around my adams apple had been bruised on the indside. I always try and gargle warm salt water. It helps a little. Warm drinks are soothing. Eating food seems to help as if they are picking a scab. I woke up this morning and the pain in the left side after swallowing hard went away almost instantly as if a "scab came off". This is the best way I can explain it, but it does seem to go away after rest, gargling, and more rest. Sometimes our body is just telling us to slow down.