Hello everyone,I am 21 years old, I am a student and about 6 days from today, I woke up and carried on my regular day with no strenuous activities. However it was a point when I felt a very disturbing pain on the right side of my throat when I tried to swallow. The pain doesn't feel as if it is in my throat, no soreness or anything. But more on the side of my throat near the pulse area. Kind of deep in my neck about a half inch above my adams apple but to the right of it near the pulse area is where i feel some tenderness if i really try to feel for it.  These are my symptoms:

When i look straight ahead and swallow, no pain.

when i look or position my head to the right and swallow no pain.

When i look to the left and swallow, I feel a strange very uncomfortable PAIN on the right side of my throat that feels almost like im swallowing a lump or charlies horse of some sort when I try to swallow.

I am kind of thinking that it is a muscular condition and when I felt on the right side of my throat and compared it to the left, there doesnt seem to be any lumps, swelling or redness. I do get acid reflux from time to time but it interferes more with the inside of my throat and it is not where i am having the pain. Also I occasionally smoke. I have seen one post on here that is quite similar to what i am feeling, but no one can seem to come up with a solution and it was posted about 3 years ago by a guest who has not replied to what it was and how long it lasted. I also have to sleep with my head in certain positions to eliminate the nag or interference with w.e it is. It is not as bad as it was on the first day but it still hurts and I also feel that it has not gotten better because I feel that my body is more aware of it now, so I tend to not aggravate it by turning my head left and swallowing or sleeping with my head in certain positions to eliminate the aggravation. The pain is really and only felt when swallowing or if im lying with my head turned to the left.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?? If so how long did it last..?? I am thinking it is a form of "cricopharyngeal spasm" but i am not sure and not in a position to see a doctor right now. I do spend long hours sitting in front of the computer and sitting down, dont know if that contributes as well. And looking it up online is becoming frightening because of a lot of other factors associated with the throat area.Can somebody help, it concerns me a lot and I have never felt this before and its been 6 days, I dont think its cancer or anything but that does too worry me in the worst case, i PRAY its not that.

HI, 

I'm Experiencing something very similar. 28 years old. non-smoker, weird pain on the right side of my throat. Very dull, but hurts when I swallow, or move my neck in certain places. Does seem muscular aswell, but I have no idea. Saw A doctor in a walk in clinic and she advised me its probably muscular but, the pain has been ongoing for about a month. I will be seeing my GP in a few weeks, so Ill ask him for tests. 

Have you had any luck on a solution? 

I have has the same pain in my neck. Kind of right close to my adams apple. I have been taken alieve and tylenol for the pain. Its kind of mild to moderate pain but enough to bug me. Its been ongoing for about a month now. Really does not worry me and it does feel muscular as yall are saying. I have found by taken 3 tylenol in the morning and a couple in the afternoon seems to help. I am going to the doctor this tuesday and whatever he says I will let yall know.

I have basically the same condition for about 3 years. There are times that it does not hurt at all. This past week it started hurting again.

I think it is just muscular. The next time I go to my doctor I am going to discuss it with him.

Feel better

Do of you guys discover what this is?

I have EXACTLY the same syptoms. When I swallow and my head is turned I get this tugging or like painfull pulling sensation in my throat just above my Adams apple. I get the same sensation if I stick my tongue far out. But if I'm looking straight ahead I can do all the same things with little to no discomfort. It's only when my head it turned certain ways. Swallowing food is no problem either.

The only other symptom I have is my throat gets dry, specifically the spot where I feel this "lump" sensation feels dry while the rest of my throat feels normal. The rest of my throat is normal swallowing and everything!

That's why this is so strange to me, its only one side my throat that is affected! (for me it happens to be the left side)

I went to an ENT and she looked through my nose down into my throat with a camera, she sent me for a CT scan of my throat, blood tests, everything came back normal. Leaving me even more confused.

She did say it might be either Silent Acid Reflux (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux, or "LPR") or that it could be nerve related.

It's been like this for 4 months now, it just started happening one day 4 months ago.

I'm at a loss. The Dr. tried acid reflux pills (Omeprazole) and she tried Nortryptiline incase it was a nerve thing. But nothing has helped.

Did you ever find out what it was? Did it get better?

-Kevin

Hello.
I have very similar pains. Mine is on the left side, it does not hurt to swallow or when I turn my head side to side, but when I tilt my head to the right (eyes front) there is a deep, sharp pain on the left side of my throat. I do smoke (not tobacco) and two days ago I smoked a some resin which makes me cough A LOT. Resin is much harsher than what I usually smoke. The harshness plus the extra coughing has probably strained the muscle in my throat. I wonder if maybe this is why some of you also have sore throats, I noticed the original poster said that they are an occasional smoker, very few people smoke tobacco only occasionally.

Hey guys, The pain is most likely coming from your thyroid. Thyroid nodules are extremely comon and often nothing to worry but should still be checked out. Having a nodule above a certain size will cause pain when swolling and discomfort when turning your neck. Your doc will send you for an ultrasound and a biopsy. Very routine.

Thank you for all the posts. I have a similar condition but was wondering if anyone felt pain (specifically shooting pain) to the back and chest area when swollowing when the head is up and to the side? Thank you.

Guys you are receiving this pain if you have had a lot of sugar

My symptoms are the same, on left side of neck/throat. Had ENT check me out, had CT, had htyroid check-all normal. Muscular problem always suggested. I did however notice this irritated/pain feel is at Seatbelt level on my neck in the car. Maybe I pulled a muscle unaware?? Anyone else notice this similar location?

Same problem here! But in addition mine is even when I'm talking, like I am hoarse onluly in the left side of my throat. It's really annoying. I have laryngopharingeal reflux and tmj.

My symptoms are similar. One day sitting at my desk I swallowed as I do normally throughout the day, just saliva and I felt a pop in my neck like cartlidge. I didnt think much of it and about 10 minutes later I felt like someone punched me in the neck and started to get light headed. I went to urgent care and they did an ultra-sound on my neck and it came back normal. Its uncomfortable to swallow no matter which direction I face, but if I press my fingers against where you take your pulse its not so bad. Im not in any actual pain, its just uncomfortable. Im concidering going ahead and getting a CT scan just to be on the safe side.

I don't understand some people here are relating this to smoking and I'm 14 and I have never smoked in my life!

I have this problem to but i have forwarded posture bad posture especially in my neck and back your posture can effect your throat do your eyes hurt to that's one of my problems dose it hurt below were your throat ends mine hurts there i am starting to think i might have a thyroid problem i have part of the symptoms falling out hair is one and lost appetite . I hate having bad posture especially because i hardly sleep because of it.

I am 21 i have never smoked and i have the same symptoms in my throat i think its a thyroid problem look that up on line and look up the symptoms if you have them ask the doctor to check your thyroid .