I have had this for a little over a week. Doc says its a viral infection, but really only glanced at me. He said that same side was a little swollen/irrititated.

Anyhow, cough drops or any other type of throat sprays dont help, and it feels like its outside of my throat, to the right side of the top of my adams apple.
If I turn my head all the way to the right or down, absolutely zero pain.
When my head is at its normal position, a little pain.
When my head is turned to the left, PAIN!!

Now I don't think I am dying of cancer, swine flu, or voodoo curse...but it still is perplexing, never experienced it before.

A couple of weeks ago, my neck "cramped" a little on that side during some rolling in jiu jitsu, kind of wondering if it may even be a muscle sprain. My family has been getting a dose of the "crud" that has been floating around, but this feels different.

Thanks for your help, and I'll post how I'm doing in about a week.

Yep, that sounds perplexing - is it muscular, from the sports injury, or viral? Would love to hear how you go.

Regards, Olwen :-)

Hi guest,

I was doing a google search and found your post. I'm curious to see what yours is as I'm experiencing almost exact symptoms. I am also experiencing pain when I swallow on the right side of my neck just above my adams apple. It not excruciating but it is abnormal. It is not a sore throat per se, but more of pain in the swallowing muscle or something like that. Mine started about a week or two ago and seems to be getting worse. Another part of your post that caught my eye was the cramping you described. I had the same thing happen about four months ago and nearly had to massage the muscles around my adams apple to relieve the cramp. I did not have any pain swallowing at that time. But, the pain I'm experiencing now is in the same exact muscle as where I had that cramping occur. Another similiarity is that my kids have all come down with a bad cold over the past two weeks but I never caught the cold myself. I'm wondering if I am experiencing some residual effect of that cold (actually hoping that's what I'm experiencing!). I'm going to the doctor this afternoon to see what's going on.

Keep me posted on what happens with you and I'll do the same.

Went to the doc today, doc is 99% certain it is a muscular issue. I figured it was a sore throat the first time I went because everybody at home had some sort of sore throat/cold that week. One thing I totally forgot about was that I did have a cramp there when I raised my head up fairly close to the time this problem started happening, and I was pretty sure I was driving back from Jiu Jitsu class, I was doing some work from my back with my head raised up most of the time, and I did get popped into a pretty tight guiotine as well. So all the indicators seem to point to this now in retrospect.

I never have had a feeling that before, so I wanted to go back to the doc with the new set of information. She told me just to let it sit, and don't worry about taking ibuprofen for it.

If it doesn't subside or completely go away in two weeks she'll send me off to the ENT. Basically she says that there are two sets of muscular structures that are holding my larnyx, and its very possible I strained the right structure because there really isn't much of anything else around there.

She's very good at what she does and she's been my primary doc for years, so I'll go with the doc. Might have to avoid getting neck cranks in Jitz. :-) I'll remind myself to come back after two weeks to tell you how I'm doing, and hopefully without this annoying problem.

Same here. The doc said it was likely muscular and that he wants to get me some muscle relaxants and prescription Ibuprofen. The pain subsided in the swallowing muscles over the weekend but I still have some discomfort in my throat. It's not terrible pain, but of course I focus on it, which doesn't help.

The doc said that if I'm still experiencing discomfort by the end of the week, he would send me for a Barium swallow. I'm hoping that it just goes away as the appointments all take time and cost $$!

I'll keep you posted. Please do the same. thx~

The pain is getting a little better, but I am still training while going through this, so if it is muscular it is going to be a slower recovery. I really dont want to take off 6 weeks of training for it to completely heal. I haven't been taking anything for it. A muscle relaxer would definitely help I'll bet though. I'll sit through this week and if it is the same I'll go and hit up the ENT.

I'm experiencing very similar symptoms; an annoying sensation (not really painful but definitely irritating) on the right side of my throat in the range of the Adam's apple. If I turn my head to the left or right, I don't notice it, but it's there when my head/neck are in "normal position", and I haven't noticed anything that eases it yet. It's been off and on for 2+ months, which sounds stress or muscle-related. I'm seeing an ENT this week, with hopefully a good explanation of what's going on.

That is really strange but I am glad to hear that you were able to get a solution to your issue. Can you tell me what the barium swallow would be for? I would like an update if you have one for us!

Got back from a CT scan and the ENT called me today.

Nothing unusual in the CT, maybe some cartilage damage. I do feel better, but its still there. I have one more appt with him later in the week and then we'll have a treatment plan(probably just rest).

Hi

Experiencing something very similar for over a year now.

Been to the ENT and had a barium swallow with X-rays, Endoscopy and a Thyroid ultrasound.
All came back as negative and the ENT suggested that it is muscular and perhaps some physio therapy might help me relax those muscles.

Has anybody had these symptoms for as long as I have? Any conclusions?

Thanks!
Gio

Did you post earlier? I am hoping that you're the same person who posted earlier. I'm glad to hear that it's all working out well for you. Can you give us an update? thanks!

For a couple of months I have been experiencing pain from below my ear, under my jaw, trailing down the side of my throat alongside, and under my SCM (sternoclydomastoid muscle) just outside my windpipe, thyroid area. It's not a terrible pain, but more there than not. I also feel it when I swallow, press on it, make certain movements, and sometimes doing nothing. I have been to my internist, a chiropractor, 2 ENTs, an orthopedist and a physical therapist with no answers. The next step would be a $1000 MRI, the only thing that would make me spend that kind of money is my fear of it being something like cancer. The pain is not getting better. It sounds like most often this is just muscle strain. Please everyone keep us all up to date on your status's or if anyone hears of anything that can be more serious.

I have the exact sam issue with the pain just to the right of my Adams Apple. Only hurts when I swallow and a little if I shout. I have been playing a lot of tennis lately and I am right handed. If it is muscle strain this is the only thing I have been doing that would cause this type of pain. Has anyone figured out the best way to treat this problem?

I have the same problem..I got kicked in the face during tae kwon do and the right side of my throat/neck is sore...only when I swallow

Add me to the list. Mine just started acting up today. The pain is alarming because it's so odd feeling and it's annoying.