I seem to have a strange back problem. A few months ago I had discomfort when anything touched my back, just like skin discomfort, and the next day I had a regular backache. That would seem like two unrelated symptoms, except that a month ago I had the same thing - discomfort followed by back pain. The pain was off and on and livable for about 2.5 weeks. No activity that I did seemed to make my back any worse, like picking up my 13yo little brother or anything. After the 2.5 weeks my back pain got a lot worse and spread up and down my back and into my chest and I became nauseous when I twisted around, so I went to Urgent Care. I was diagnosed with a muscle strain and given a prescription for skelaxin, but this does not seem to be a muscle issue. My back has been cracking a lot, and it never did before. The cracking seems to alleviate the pain somewhat. No strenuous activity seems to have any effect on my back - only bending over or occasionally twisting wrong. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks!

Jay, sounds like we have a similar problem. Unfortunatley, I have been trying to find out what is causing mine for about a year and a half. It is weird to have back pain that is not affected by lifting something heavy. And when I crack mine (all the time) it does feel a little better for a while. Now, Do you have pain on both sides or just one? And does what you eat or how much you eat seem to effect it at all?

Jay...I used to have some of the same symptoms as you. My back never hurt during heavy lifting, but it killed doing small tasks like simply bending over. It turned out that it was, in fact, not my back at all. The back of my thigh was extremely tightened up, and it was causing me to have pain in my back. I don't know if it will work you, but try simply stretching daily. Every day, I just began stretching my legs and lower back, especially focusing on the back of my thigh. Now, my pain is gone, and i feel a thousand times better. I hope I helped

Hi, I

Hey, I've the same problems, but mine were according much more frequently and only started after a really bad skiing accident I had. My doctor checked it out and I found out I had 7 fractured vertebrae and 5 misshapen vertebrae from my accident. You guys might want to have an x-ray or something and check that it isn't because of fractured or misshapen vertebrae, the only bad thing about it being this is all they can do if you turn out to be in the same boat as me then all they can do is surgery and/or physical therapy. These work in most cases, but if you have a really bad accident like I did then they don't help and you have to live with it (I have had both and each only helped for about a week or two). Anyways good luck on finding out what's happening with your backs and remember never rule anything out because you haven't had a bad fall.

you should try therapy for muscle imbalances. My back cracks from everything from breathing to moving lol. I am an athletic person but my back pain actually stops me from getting in good practices for my sports. 

Our symptoms sound similar. During a volleyball game two years ago I cracked my Lumbar 5 vertebrae, my doctor told me that I would always have back pain that is manageable. Recently I have had back pain in my middle back that has been constant for three weeks and I have seen my chiropractor twice since and it isn' t seeming to help. I called my doctor and he said it was a pulled muscle and to apply heat and ice. I have and it still hasn't gone away. He is now suggesting a bulging disc or a slipped disc from stunting (I'm a cheerleader). It doesn't hurt to lift the girl, it hurts to hold her there and fully extend my arms. I cannot twist my back at all and cannot bend backwards. The pain is very constricting.

It could be kidney and back problems. Kidney problems can cause some nausea and vomitting, dark urine. It is possible to have both happen simultaneously. Back pain starts from the middle and works its way to the sides while kidney problems do just the opposite.