Well since I was about 16 I've been cracking my knuckles (nearly 10 years) although I've noticed the last couple of years it's been quite a lot more frequent.

I started when a friend of mine (at the time) used to do it all the time and I was curious as to why/how he did it and well it's been around ever since.

So I'm asking, what are some of the dangers/repercussions of cracking your knuckles?

What are some ways to stop cracking them?

My main reasons for wanting to stop is because It's rude and people cringe at it, It makes me feel uncomfortable when they notice but 3/4 of the time I do not realise I'm doing this.

Another reason would be the "possible" health problems it may cause (if this is true or not)

I'd really like to hear some tips and idea's, Would hypnotherapy be worth trying? Is their other ways? I've really made a conscious effort to stop, but that seems to feed it even more.!

Thanks
reksat

Sadly to say... You can't stop. Once you start, u can't stop. It's an addiction like alcohol and yeah. Sorry

Really? I used to smoke in my younger days now i don't touch one? Is that the same theory?

Moo Moo loves u is wrong reksat! My cousin  started cracking her knuckles and stopped and never cracked one knuckle in 2 years! I'm trying not to crack my knuckles and it's been a day and my knuckles are feeling like they are swelling, but i know a way to stop. Here is some ways: Tap your fingers on your right/left had(which ever one you use less, and only tap ONE hand), because you usually need 2 fingers to crack, another way is to get a rubber band put it on your wrist , and once you see yourself try to/did crack your knuckles pull the rubber band then let it go, every time ur about to crack ur knuckles  just crack one knuckle n then put it in ur head to stop. until your brain gets used to stoping before even cracking that one knuckle And think about it do u really want ur fingers shaking non stop when your 50 put this thought in ur head ALL THE TIME! Sorry that's all i got but look up on google too! I hoped this helped!

Your wrong look at my comment

Looovvveee wrote:

Moo Moo loves u wrote:

Your wrong look at my comment

Im not wrong trust me im starting to stop and i just started so sorry to say that YOUR wrong

Wow thanks for lightening everybody's mood

this is one of the most unhelpful comments I have ever read. It is as demeaning to any reader's intelligence as it is to recovering alcoholics. Of course recovering from alcoholism is possible, though difficult. What a stupid analogy.

(that was directed at Moo Moo Loves U's comment)

you can stop ita completly possible you just have to try hard enough

All it takes is conscious effort. Try to pay attention to when you're doing it; I crack my knuckles, too. I've been doing it for years. T_T I crack two different parts of my fingers, my wrists, my elbows, my shoulders, my jaw, my neck, my toes, my ankles, my knees, my back, and sometimes even my hip. And I'm only 17! I used to crack my thumbs, but when I realized that they were becoming weaker, I decided to not crack them anymore. By making myself aware to when I cracked them, I was able to stop. I did the same thing with my toes and my knees, when I realized that my knees were also becoming weaker. I'm still working on the others, but I'll get there sometime. ^_^ If you wanted to know the side-effects of cracking your joints, I'll tell you. My mom also cracks her joints sometimes (and a lot when she was younger). Cracking can lead to arthritis. If you continue to crack your fingers, they'll get fat, and they'll lose strength. They'll start to hurt; a lot. I play the piano, and I find that my fingers have become slower the more I crack them. They make these little foam balls that you can squeeze to strengthen your fingers. I use them sometimes, and it really helps. Try finding some hobby or activity that requires the use of your fingers; something to keep them busy. I hope I helped~! ^_~

actually despite the rumors many studies have shown that cracking your knuckles (or whatever you crack) does not cause arthritis but does cause weakness and other issues

Well, you must not know much when your example (alcohol addiction) is false. It IS possible to stop both.

You are all pathetic.

well i like to crack my toes so instead of cracking the knuckles on my fingers i crack my toes!!! lol XD :-D:-):-);-)XD