Every so often, the fingerprint grooves on the tips of my thum, and sometimes forefinger splits and form deep cuts that look like severe paper-cuts. They aren't always deep enough to be painful, but usually become worse after some time, becoming longer and deeper. I usually have 2 or 3 cuts like this on each thumb.

I'm not sure if this is related to my splitting fingerprint grooves, but I also get very deep splits on the corner of my thumb where my thumb nail begins. These splits don't follow the grooves of my fingerprints, but are often extremely deep and painful.

I wash my hands with soap very frequently, but always use hand lotion afterwards, usually the antibacterial hand lotion from Bath and Body.

I am not sure if these splits are just extreme forms of dry, winter hands, or if there might be some other cause. My roommate thought that it might even be a specific vitamin deficiency.

Has anyone else had this problem? I got a new crack on my forefinger today, which is deep enough to bleed and hurt. :-( Is ointment for cuts like Neosporin the best solution?

I get the same problem with my fingerprint grooves. I have no idea what it is unless maybe it's some kind of recurring fungal infection? If you ever find out what it is, I'd really appreciate it if you'd email me at _[removed]_. Thanks!

I tried everything to stop this from happening...it went on for 1 1/2 years...turns out, when I was treated for a yeast infection that I did not know I had- it stopped all of the cracking...who knew?

mer and my husband both have this problem. he was just diagnosed with some kind of yeast in his blood i dont know hopefully it goes away quickly

I have this problem, too. I don't know what the cause is. It is very annoying when it gets painful.
I have found it comes and goes. I also have problems with fingerprint ridges peeling back like a hangnail and then snagging on fabric (clothing). When they get snagged they rip deeper into the skin and then bleed or get infected.
I seem to get both problems at the same time and I think they are connected or caused by the same thing. I have the problem on my feet, too, where the ridges on the soles of my feet peel and snag on socks or the carpet.

The only things I have found that help both the peeling snagging ridges and the cracks in the dry hard skin around the finger and toe nails is keeping them moisturized and using a nail file like a pumice stone to sand down the hard cracking skin and the peeling ridges. And I keep my nails as short as possible because longer nails cause more pain to the surrounding skin. Especially the corners of the nails which I file down to make the nails more rounded.
Also, I use bandaids and antibacterial ointment on the deeper or infected cracks and snags. Usually a few days of treating the cracks/snags like a wound will make them heal, I mean using the ointment and bandaids throughout the day and changing them whenever they get wet or start to fall off.

Like I said, I don't know what causes these strange skin issues, but I should mention that I am not healthy. I am chronically ill and have problems with thyroid hormone levels, cortisol levels, autoimmune diseases, IBS, migraines, tons of allergies, food allergies, chemical sensitivity, ...basically I'm a mess and feel sick and tired all the time.

I have the same problem and I use superglue to close the cuts as soon as they appear and it works great, but the yeast thing seems like a definite reason for the problem I am male but I have an amputated leg and I get reoccurring yeast infections on my nub even though I clean my nub with bleach twice a day. Hope this is helpful
-Ike

I started having the same problem many years ago (finger grooves open as if cut and they take forever to close up). I ended up using gloves to shampoo my hair, to do dishes, and do anything that would get my hands in contact with detergents. That stopped the problem.

Many years later I realized that eating pork caused the finger groove cuts. As it turns out, my problem appeared after I started eating pork very regularly (I rarely ate pork before that, maybe once a year). A few years ago I stopped eating animal products all together, but recently I started eating a little bit of liver to get vitamin B12. Within 24 hours my skin on my finger tip opened on a groove. The groove closed up within a few days of not eating liver. If I don't eat meat/liver then I can use detergents on my hands with no problem. So it seems like my problem is some allergic reaction to something in the liver (beef or chicken) and in pork.

Congrats on your life choice! I do flooring, so my hands are in and out of buckets of water all winter... so these finger fissures are common for me. I was just hoping their was a solution besides dipping my mutilated damaged hands in a bucket of latex... But back to the vegan choice, my joint inflammation has all but disappeared, I feel 20 times healthier, and I feel 10 years younger. KEEP IT UP!

This used to happen to me all the time when I cleaned cars for a living. The constant moisture, contact with all kinds of cleaning solilutions and de-greasers, and washing my hands all the time was the main cause for me.

I found a solution to help them heal: Corn Huskers Lotion ($3 for 7oz)

It’s probably the best thing for dry cracked hands.
It feels like you’re hands are covered with jello: slippery wet, to sticky, then to smooth and soft. Resist the urge to wipe off with a towel and it really helps cracked hands or spitting fingers.

Best of luck to you and your hands!

I am vegetarian and still get splits in my finger tips