Hi, I am 23 years old female. I was recently diagnosed with palatal myoclonus when I went to a doctor because of the jerky movements of a throat. He warned me that treatment is helpful in only 20% of all cases, but I will try it anyway. Is there anyone who had some improvement after any kind of treatment?

Hi, I have palatal myoclonus for many years, and I never managed to cure it completely. I tried some drugs like diazepam, gabapentin and memantine, and only memantine helped me a little, until I noticed some side effects. I was also recomanded to try baclofen, ceruletide and even cannabis! If I understood correctly, palatal myoclonus is caused by some lesion in the triangle of Guillain Mollaret, which is found in brainstem. This triangle is composed of the inferior olivary nucleus in the medulla of the brainstem, and some other things. Anyway, this inferior olivary nucleus enlarges and develops rhythmic discharges. This way, it is responsible for the palatal myoclonus. I still have involuntary jerky movements of the soft palate of the throat, and sometimes I even hear a clicking sound.

I've had it for a couple years - found diazapam helped a LITTLE but only cuz i fell asleep I think LOL - I've heard a botox shot to the roof of the mouth cures it for a few months - but as much as the clicking drives me NUTS - I'm too afraid of needles - post again if you find any cures that work (other than needles.

Hi, I've had palatal myoclonus for the past 5 years. It took the drs. 3 months to figure out what was wrong. I take 1000 mg of Depakote a day and that seems to keep it at bay. it acts up a few times a month when I get a migraine. My neuro isn't sure if the myoclonus triggers the migraine or the other way around. Hope this helps.