Hi, I had spinal cord injury when I was 24 years old. Since then, I suffer back pain and muscle spasm occasionally. I have been prescribed Baclofen treatment. What should I expect?

Baclofen is a derivative of gamma-aminobutyric acid, althouth it’s precise mechanism of action remains unknown. Brand names are Kemstro and Lioresal. Baclofen is used to relieve the muscle spasms, pain, and muscular rigidity associated with multiple sclerosis. It is a muscle relaxant and an antispastic agent. Baclofen is used for the treatment of spastic movement, especially in instances of spinal cord injury and in multiple sclerosis. You should expect relief of muscle spasm and decreased frequency of symptom occurance. Your back pain will be affected as well. During course of therapy you will be able to follow improvement and change doses if necessary.