Hi, my son has twitching and segmental myoclonus in his shoulders and upper armes. I think this is because he damaged the spinal cord recently. I am so worried! What should he do about this?

Hello, I had an inflammation that caused my twitching and segmental myoclonus. But it didn’t affect me in the same area as your son, but in my limbs. The neurologist at first didn’t know what is causing this condition, so he sent me to many lab tests. This form of myoclonus usually affects parts of the body that are near to each other. It is very possible that your son’s spinal cord injury caused this involuntary twitching of muscles. I am taking magnesium, because it really helps me with this condition. Your son could try it too, but since he’s still probably a child, he should consult a doctor before doing and taking anything. Beside inflammation and spinal cord injury, the causes for this condition could be stroke, kidney or liver failure, brain tumors or drug poisoning.