Hi! I have clicking in the ear. Recently I went to otolaryngology and they told me that clicking is caused by partial blockage of the Eustachian tube. Doctor explain me something about cold, but I didn’t understand him well. I often have a problem with my ears. What can cause Eustachian tube blockage? Is there some relation between sinus infection and blockage of the Eustachian tube?

Hi! My son have same problem as you. He often has persistent ear infection. So, I was interested about this issue and this I know about that. Partial or complete blockage of the Eustachian tube can cause popping, clicking, and ear fullness. As Eustachian tube function worsens, air pressure in the middle ear falls, and the ear feels full and sounds are muffled. The Eustachian tube can be blocked or obstructed for a variety of reasons. The most common cause is a "cold". Sinus infections or allergies can also cause swelling of the Eustachian tube. Consequently, a stuffy nose leads to stuffy ears.

I recently saw an ENT and he told me that the clicking occurs in everyones ears. When people have springier cartilage around the eustachian tube it apparently creates a louder clicking noise when the muscles open and close the tube. A lot of people with this problem also tend to have a lot of moisture built up around the enterance of the ET. I'm currently seventeen and I started having this problem about a year and a half ago (although I have had ear infections all my life). The ENT said that it was very difficult to treat this problem but he did inform me that I had severe allergies and that I should have allergy testing and by alleviating the symptoms I may be able to eliminate the clicking. I suggest getting second and third opinions and continue seeking out answers until you can find a cause and a treatment.
Swelling of the adenoids can cause blockage as well as mucus in the tube. Congested sinuses seem to aggrivate my ET problems so I'm sure a sinus infection could cause it as well.

I too have this ear clicking in my ear (like a geiger counter)....3 seconds on ......3 seconds off.....over and over. Driving me up the wall. Couldnot sleep so for two days and nights. Then my wife, a licensed Med Assistant told me to take, Sudafed (nasal decongestant), Guaifenesin (expectorant), ibuprofen (for inflamation) and benadryl (to sleep-only at night) Slept like a baby last night. Today the ear is just a bit nosey, but nothing like the last three days. Took Sudafed, Guafasen and ibuprofen today. Big improvement. Gioing to keep up the therapy. :-D

I too had this problem. It had improved until I followed my Primary Care's advice to take an Actifed/Sudafed. I almost immediately (within an hour) noticed my condition had worsened. I took a Walmart version of Zyrtec (because of my outdoor allergies that were driving me insane) and noticed that the clicking had stopped within a day or two. When it happened again, I simply waited it out a few weeks. It has been almost eight months since my last episode. I refuse to settle for surgery!!

I too had this problem for about three days. I am vaguely remembering having the problem over a decade ago and the primary care doctor told me to take sinus or cold medicine similar to sudafed or something that would open nasal passages since this some how also opens the Eustachian tube. I am 39, no serious allergies, no current allergies, just some stress and drinking more coffee than normal. I usually don't drink items with caffeine, but I have been fairly consistently about once a week. I have no ideas as to what is causing mine, so I am just listing some current changes in my life.

Yeah i have this problem now.. it goes uh, uh, uhhh, uh uh, uhuhuhuh, uh uh. Annoying.

I have had a clicking or tapping in my left ear for 18 years. I am 42 now. I noticed it one night suddenly. When I lay on my right side or when my head is tilted to the right. I was referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist who ruled out tinnitus and I have never suffered constant ear infections. I, however can get rid of the noise if I completely block my ear so I started using wax ear plugs. The specialist made me a silicone ear piece but as the ear doesn't stay the same size it wasn't too long before it no longer fitted. Once I had children though I found the ear plugs prevented me hearing them if they cried etc in the night. I have been left with no diagnosis. They thought it may have been my own pulse I was hearing but unless I have an extremely erratic pulse, which I haven't, I knew it wasn't that. They told me the only option would be surgery to open up the ear. Apparently this involves cutting the ear at the back and folding it over to get inside???? and investigate. I chose not to but would love to hear from anyone with similar symptoms. I can't be the only one???

I too have crip crip sound in both ears for many ears, though consulting mant ENTS no use. ENTS says that cold is cloged and dried in ears so am having this problem can anyone help me

I got an ear infection 3 weeks ago.  On reflection it was from going to a spa with a plunge pool in which every man and his dog were jumping in.  The Dr put me on antibiotics.  Those didnt work completely but helped.  Now they have given me an Otomize spray because apparantly i have an infection in my ear canal.  However i now still have slight deafness and also loads of clicking.  My ear sounds muffled still too.  I can (too) easily click my ears and its driving me mad !  I am seeing the dr again tomorrow.

can the clicking be something else beside the e.t.? like signs of some sort of brain trama like tumor?

I have the same issues as you.  You aren't alone.  My ear clicking, ticking has been going on over 20 years.  It usually springs up 3 or 4 times a year and makes it difficult to sleep or even concentrate.  I have been to several doctors and ENT's, all of which looked at me like I have 3 heads and was making it up. 

Seems to come on with stress and sickness.  I find if I yawn or burp or click my TMJ joint enough or in the right spot, It goes away for about 5 mins at a time.  It's quite annoying.

I had balloon sinuplasty on Friday. Its now Wednesday and while I can actually breathe, my clicking is still happening exactly like it was before. Going back to the ENT on Friday and see what he says. 

i HAVE BEEN HAVING CLICKING IN BOTH EARS FOR THE PAST MONTH. I WENT TO THE ENT TODAY AND HE BASICALLY SAID IT WAS PROBABLY A MUSCLE SPASM . HE REALLY LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS CRAZY. IT'S AMAZING HOW THESE DOCTORS GO TO SCHOOL AND KNOW NOTHING. THE CLICKING IS ENOUGH TO DRIVE ME CRAZY. NO FOLLOW THROUGH. HE BASICALLY LAUGHED AT ME. WHAT IS IT ???

ilenebez wrote:

suzen451 wrote:

went to ENT this week. told me same thing as he told you - muscle spasm of couple muscles in inner ear. Just wrote me off. said "can't do anything for you". He did set me up for an MRI, and a follow up. My clicking is totally random. sounds like an electric spark in ear.