Hello, my brother is suffering from Panic disorder. I would like to know what drugs he should take because of this condition. I am pretty worried about his condition. Nobody in the family had this but the condition developed itself. I never thought that he will be in his current state. Thank you all for your responses in advance.

Greetings, there are two types of drugs he should use. He should take antidepressants every day. For example SSRI’s and MAOI’s have included in this group of drugs. But he should take another type of drugs when the panic attack is happening or is anticipated. Those are anti-anxiety drugs or benzodiazepines. He should consult a doctor about this drugs and about his future treatment. That therapy is called cognitive-behavioral therapy. Well, I told you everything I know.

I've had tremendous success in controlling my panic with a low-dose combination of Klonopin and Risperdal (0.5mg each at night). It has been nearly 2 years since I've been taking these meds together and in that time I have only had 3 full-blown panic attacks. The general anxiety still flares up regularly (unfortunately) but it doesn't turn into all out panic. As a bonus, I sleep very well at night now, too.

There's a bit of a problem with the Risperdal having dangerous interactions with a large variety of popular antibiotics. So it's a real pain in the butt when I get a sinus infection because I have to take the old-school 14-day cycle antibiotics instead of the new high-tech 5-day versions. But I have to say, the trade off is definitely worth it.

Good luck to you and your brother! Hugs!