I need to hear some more info regarding antisocial personality disorder. I know my kid is not perfect especially ever since I divorced from his dad-but I couldn't take this alcohol problems any more and I thought it is just a bad phase in his life-he is now 16 years old but no, it turned out things are getting only worse and his school psychologist told me that my son might have what is called antisocial personality disorder and I should take him to some institution just to have him diagnosed right. It is truth that lately my son is behaving quite weird he even ended up in police station the other night for stealing attempt. I really need help and some info about how is antisocial personality disorder being treated. Thanks!

I had the same problem in my family, or to be more precise my brother was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder. He is now 42 and I can tell you it is been just recently that his behavior has become somewhat normal and it was during his adolescence he was acting violently and aggressive he never cared for other's feeling or other's people needs nor he cared for his own needs and security also and he also has those prison as well as substance abuse episodes. Anyway the common cause of antisocial personality disorder is genetic but also the environment in where the person lives affects much this condition – so I suppose that his dad's alcoholism might be blamed for his actual condition. My brother was having counseling and psychotherapy treatment especially the group therapy may help, but how much these therapies will be effective depends much on your son's will to cooperate and usually it is not the case so it is more like that the antisocial personality disorder is of prolonged character and it takes a while for the things to get back to normal. Experts says those conditions usually improves by years and the signs are significantly reduced at around 30's and as I have told you in my brother's case he needed to come to his 40's to fix all this though it is still felt somehow in the air his aggressiveness some time.