Hello, guys. My friend suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder. She is in serious mental condition and doctors will introduce medications in her therapy beside psychotherapy. I would like to ask what drugs are used for this mental disorder. Can anyone tell me? I would really appreciate your replies. Thanks in advance.

Hello to you too. The core of Borderline Personality Disorder treatment is psychotherapy. Medications cannot cure it. They are only introduced as a help. They treat additional problems like anxiety, depression and impulsivity. For that purpose, antidepressants, antipsychotic and antianxiety drugs are prescribed. SSRIs that are used here are Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa, etc. Atypical antipsychotics that are used are Risperdal, Zyprexa, Clozaril, etc. Some studies even show that omega-3 fatty acids can help some patients. Your friend should talk to his doctor about treatment options. I hope it’ll work.

I find that the best combination (for me) is Welbutron, Lamictal, and Adderall.

Most people who I've told that I'm on adderall for BPD thought it was incredibly weird but in fact adderall is sometimes used with patients with severe depression.

Hope I helped

Antidepressants are usually used first to control the impulsivity of thoughts. Anti psychotics may need to be introduced to bring some stability to the person's thought process.

I have suffered from BPD since I can remember. Unfortunately, it had gone completely undiagnosed/misdiagnosed for years, resulting in frequent impulsive actions resulting in hospitalizations. For years I had (occasionally) had sucidal thoughts due to horrible traumatic events (such as childhood cancer) in my life, but not frequently. I NEVER acted on them UNTIL I WAS PUT ON MEDICATION. Thing is with BPD people, we are so sensitive to emotional stimuli that psychotropic drugs that have substantial mood altering side effects, and, SSRIs for example, ESP while your body is adjusting to them, can have horrible results. Since these drugs, namely Zoloft, Zyprexa, lexapro, Paxil, Risperdal, to lithium, depakote - I have tried them ALL believe me - they F@#$ED my life up entirely. I ended up having a seizure and falling down a flight of stairs, resulting in permanent short-term memory loss - as a result of taking Wellbutrin. I have had subsequent seizures as well. EVERY time I tired a new drug, I ended up ODing, and almost dying 2 more times. If you are BPD, you ARE an impulsive person. The second you have a bad day and you have access to these drugs, you will most likely end up taking the whole bottle, and end up in the hospital. One of the main side effects of MANY of those drugs is SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, if you read the list of the 100000s of side effects they have. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies release bias information regarding the success rate of these drugs, resulting in overprescribing from doctors. Many people end up committing suicide on these drugs, I'd imagine most of them were BPD. It is very sad and unforntunate, but we gotta realize we're living in a $$$ driven socitey and doctors do get bonuses from prescribing certain medications - you are you're own best advocate and need to watch out for yourself. If you're like me, you question everything you do. NOT THIS, though, not anymore. I'm refuse to be a guinea pig. The only solution is talk therapy, introspection, and surrounding yourself with supportive, good people. BPD people have a tendancy to be-friend abusive people, resulting in more trauma, then the "need" for medication. Not true. This website is informative: http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/bpd.html
I just don't want to see more people experience what I had to. Psychotropic presciption drug side effects most often outweight the benefits, AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A LAST RESORT (aka you are seeing little green people). There are other alternatives, like DBT - Dialectal Behavioral Therapy. Or read books, like "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me." Medications, if you're lucky, they will help you MINIMALLY, AT BEST, but they are only a crutch and results are not permanent. They will also make you fat, dopey and forgetful. Fixing your behavior is the only thing that will improve your life. If you know someone with BPD, encourage them to take alternatives to medication. Otherwise, no joke - results COULD BE LETHAL. The only drug that's ever made any improvements is Adderall to help with jumpy thoughts, but that's only because it's speed and it makes you feel like you are the smartest person alive... but it's horrible for your heart and good luck finding anyone who will prescribe it to you... esp if you have a drug abuse history...

I am sorry for your experience with medication but i can assure you, it is not typical, medication saves lives, especially with people who have bpd, sounds like you are very sensitive to medication and alot of people are but please do not imply that people should assume that your experience is typical, take good care

I think it's fairly typical to have negative experiences with medication. For sure. Sorry, that's my experience.

A personal sufferer of Borderline Personality Disorder, the meds that have workd the best for me are Lamictal and Paxil. However, the Paxil can cause wiegt gain. I was also on Geodon for a number of years, and that made my personality flat. I couldn't cry eve if it was appropriate to do so. I was very mello in my responses to people. It calmed me down significantly. Best of luck to you!

Hi, my name is Kim, and I was diagnosed with BPD at age 27 after repeated suicide attempts and several misdiagnosis. I am on Neurotins and Adderall, and have found it to be the only thing that works. If you are one who doesn't believe medicines help BPD, then know that isn't true for all. I went from being so dysfunctional that I couldn't hold down a job or a relationship, not even long term friendships, to being single and happy for three years, holding down a job for two years, and now I am a full time college student with a 4.0 GPA. I am also now in the best relationship I have ever known. We are coming up on a year, soon. It is the kind of relationship everyone wants. :) I am majoring in Psychology so I can help others, and I am happy...truly happy. I won't say it is because the meds alone, but goodness knows, they help. Good luck with your friend.

Amiline-Wow! you have been through hell & back! I to am Suicidal! With or without drugs. i only don't do it. because,I have 2 sons. Good Luck! And,God Bless!~

Happy for you! Especially,after reading,all that are not successful. I am one,of them. Congradulations! On majoring in Psychology. You'll know first hand how it feels. And,be a great Asset,to people.~Suz

I have suffered from BPD my entire life with the help of therapy and medication I was able to get better for along time. However I recently relapsed as a result of one stressful event after another. I got married 3 years ago and had two babies back to back..I was under alot of stress being a new wife and mother, working and going to school to get my masters in counseling I was able to cope with all of these things and seemed fine it wasn't until my parents started pressuring me and trying to control me, my husband took a new job in the downtown area working from 10 am till 2 am, I had to get surgery, my daughter broke her leg and my stepmother acusing me of crazy things that were going on in her life that had nothing to do with me ( she likes to blame everyone for her problems and is a hateful woman) this is when I slowly began to relapse it wasn't until I hurt myself and was ready to commit myself that I reached out for help and put myself back into therapy and started taking the medications again. I am on wellbutrin 300 ml a day which I really need to be on time release because it works better, adder adderall, Valium, and seraquel I know it seems like a lot but it does help. I am going to start DBT therapy this week which is the best for BPD and shows the most successful outcomes I know my story might seem boring to some but it is soooo hard to break the cycle my mother had BPD and bc of her issues, genetics and the environment I was raised in I was also given the gift of BPD (not funny but it is what it is) for women out there my concern is not for you, yes you have to deal with it and it sucks trust me I know my real conch is for your children don't make the same mistake my mother and father did you must get help and break the cycle it's not fair to pass this to your children I know it is terrifying and humiliating but sh*t happens and sometimes it's not fair but don't ignore it because let me tell u I relapsed one month ago and already my daughter who is only 23 month is starting to act out children know when something is wrong luckily I have an amazing husband and have educated myself on this disorder so I do see a light at the end of this awful and terrifying road but it's worth it and I know it doesn't seem like it now but you can beat it yes u will probably relapse again and again but that time in between is amazing and worth fighting for YOUR HAPPINESS IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR and if someone like friends or family can't handle it then they weren't really there for you anyways medication and DBT therapy is the solution trust me I have done 30 papers and research projects on this discord not to mention have read every book also it will get better if you are dedicated to your resolution I wish you all the best luck in the world and u will need it because it is difficult but you can do it we all can don't let yourself down fight

Hi, I havnt been exactly diagnosed with BPD but will be evaluated soon, but I have been diagnosed with ADHD and take Adderall, and its done wonders for me! No known meds are known to "cure" the disorder, but some anti depressants,mood stabilizers, and anti psychotics can be used, but only seem to help 1-2 symptoms. A lot of people have tried antidepressants don't like it because it makes them tired, and people with BPD like stimuli, and already have a hard time getting up everyday because we already know its another day in hell. I don't know much about the mood stabilizers like lithium or antipsychotics, except one medication is Seroquel, and it knocks your butt out. They're tranquilizers. But with Adderall, I don't sleep my life away anymore, nor am I comsumed in my thoughts, less angry, and impulsive now. I can function as normal as I can, and have been able to do my responsibilites and finish on time. I don't know if asking a doctor hey can I take adderall will help, but people with BPD do have sypmtoms that look like ADHD, or the person could have co-occuring disorders.

Oh I forgot to add that a lot of people with BPD suffer from a lot of anxiety problems, we have problems with self-identity, distorted thinking. So the world is kinda scary and uncomfortable because we don't know how to act. But DO NOT take benzodiazpines(xanax) they can make mood/personalities worse. They somehow trigger, I think manic episodes in people,suicidal thinking, and worse depression and/or anxiety. Its just not a good combo. First hand experience it was nice at first to take Xanax, but shortly it made things worse.

D.B.T is great!!! Good luck.