Hello! My brother suffers from depression. His condition has improved some time ago and now it seems his problems increased again. He uses some antidepressants but I don’t think they help him much. I heard that cognitive behavioral therapy can be very useful in cases of depression and anxiety. Can cognitive behavioral therapy possible without medication?

Hello! Your brother has to consult his psychiatrist since cognitive behavioral therapy isn't for everyone. Cognitive behavioral therapy is proved to be as effective as antidepressants for many forms of depression and anxiety. But, in the cases of severe depression cognitive behavioral therapy should be used with medication. The combination of antidepressants and psychotherapy always brings the best result in severe cases of depression.

Celebrity
Cbt is great and works wonders in most people who apply themselves to the exercises like the tea form daily. It can be done with or without meds. If it anxiety or panic attacks you should give cbt a try. I highly recommend cbt for panic, anxiety and depression. If you can't afford a cbt group pick up a copy of Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz (tao3.com) and start doing the tea form exercise in it. This is one of the two books we used in my group. The more you work on the exercises the more relief you get, I am still improving today. Good luck to your bro!

Cbt is better if you can do it without meds because then you truly realize it is what is making you feel better and not the meds. The TEA form exercise in Obitz's book is transformational.

I agree with mike but lots of people are on meds when they start cbt and then the skills they gain in cbt help them get off the meds. Either way it is very effective treatment for anxiety issues :-D

I would very much like to stop taking meds for my bad anxiety. If I work hard on CBT and do the TEA forms daily do you think I may be able to stop taking meds? Thank you very much.