I am 30 & 2 yrs ago was diagnosed with possible viral optic neuritis. I had a small spot of loss of vision in the blind spot area, where I could see nothing in that little area, but only if I closed my other eye. My optic disc in that eye, which is the right eye, was also swollen. I went for a MRI scan & they picked up nothing, no lesions or anything to suggest MS. So what could it be? I am so afraid of MS. Please help......Thank you very much.

Hello there Miss Sophie

So you have been diagnosed with possible viral optic neuritis. Viral optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve and people tend to associate this condition with multiple sclerosis but this isn’t always the case. Viral optic neuritis can occur in isolation and this is something you need to ask your surgeon. Don’t explore internet for the more information because you will probably find articles which are saying about connection between these two conditions and this can only scare you even more.

Try to relax as much as possible and on your next checkup ask your doctor about everything and don’t leave his office until you are absolutely sure that you have all the answers. Keep us posted and good luck.   

post infectious optic neuritis