I have had a symptom over the past 6mths or so, where my right upper eyelid will become very irritated when consuming alcohol.

At first I thought I had a stye, but they normally go within 1week or so but it has persisited.

The upper eyelid becomes inflamed and it feels as though there is something in my eye (very sharp prodding feeling)

This feeling tends to go within about 1hr or so....but it stumps me on what is causing the issue, and why it is only alchol which appears to irritate 'it'

I will be visiting my GP tomorrow, but Im sure it will not get diagnosed correctly due to the intermittent nature of the condition.

Any ideas ?

Well, I don’t know in what way alcohol could be causing your sore eye but I also have a problem the following day (after drinking at the evening). My face becomes red and flaky and it may burn. I feel awful because it is not my whole face but like red patches appear on parts of my face, especially around my nose and around my chin. Besides this I get dandruff in my hair. It is really annoying. I mean I don’t drink often but when I do, I get these side effects. It is something that has just started happening. I haven’t had similar problems when I was drinking more, like every weekend.

I was not found to have any skin disorder. I suppose you’ve already seen a doc? What did s/he tell you? Any advise! Just don’t tell me to quit drinking alcohol, it’s boring!

I visited my GP the day after posting this, and she was a little miffed with the issue as well. She prescribed me Patanol eye drops to be used twice per day for 2 weeks.

So far it has worked a treat and I can now *finally* have a drink without the dreaded side effects. Whether or not it is permanently cured only time will tell....but so far things are looking better :-)

My only assumption to make from all this, is there must have been some infection in my eye which was aggravated by the alcohol (dehydration maybe?)

So hopefully the infection will get killed off for good...

Helene,

As for the dandruff, I also got that when I was drinking. I thought it was because the alcohol was drying my body out overnight and thus the skin cells would die and I would have dandruff, but I mentioned this to my doctor, and he said "no", that what was most likely happening was this: He said most dandruff is psoriasis (i.e., people don't have "dandruff", they have "psoriasis" - there is no medical disease called "dandruff" - people have psoriasis and dandruff is the symptom), and that I was probably borderline-psoriasis and that the alcohol TRIGGERED the psoriasis. Apparently, alcohol is a well-known trigger for psoriasis (if you go to psoriasis websites, they all say that). Alcohol can apparently trigger all sorts of things. Hope this helps.

Nooooo, i don't want to have psoriasis, it is such a nasty disease! Thanx for the info though batman!

I am having a scalp exam tomorrow, so i will see what happens next!

How weird, my sister and myself both when being a little drunkish both have our right eyes play up, not sore the next day or anything, just only when drinking way too much. Also myself being a very heavy drinker :$ suffers from dandruff around my hairline, not anywhere else.

This is bizarre. I too am having a red and swollen eye after a horrible binge. I have not drank in 4 days. The withdrawals are horrible. I am done, done, done with alcohol. Shaking, aching, confusion, nightmares, hallucinations, skin bruising etc. I can't wait for this to go away. Oh Lord how long? I want to think straight and be normal.

Going to sleep at night after drinking a lot of alcohol can make your eyelid stay open all night while you are sleeping and, therefore, get "bed crumbs" and other irritants in the eye.

Hey about a month ago every time i drank my right upper eye lid would get sowllen... Every time a drank the swelling saw getting worst and worst.... there is such a thing as allergic to alcohol...The fermentation process is the main cause of this allergy... why now ?? i dont know neither my allergist!!! :-(

I have this all the time and can't find ANYTHING on the internet about it. Has anyone found out any helpful information??? It's very aggravating, happens to either one or the other of my eyes and doesn't go away for about a half a day!

I am so glad to learn I'm not alone with this swollen eye thing after a night of drinking! The odd thing is, it doesn't happen every time I drink so I guess the amount consumed comes in to play but what is the cause? I've asked my friends that are in the medical field and they have no clue. It's not like I can even go to the doc when it happens because I never know when it's going to pop up (or should I say swell up) and since I am usually a weekend warrior (drinking on the weekends) docs aren't working so... If anyone has discussed with and received a viable explanation from their doc, please share!

Glad to find this thread, as I too (for the first time) have experienced, after a lot of 'seasonal celebrating', waking up with my eyes horribly swollen. Scared the hell out of me to be honest. Have certainly had some good drinking weekends in the past but never experienced this before. Don't drink a lot anymore but this past week was an exception. 24 hrs after going out, I woke up with both eyes very puffy and very watery and sore. Went down over the day but not completely gone. The next day was less but still puffy in the morning and going down some throughout the day. Also lots of body aches and chills. Could see that the day following (i.e. an ass-kicking hangover) but not the following day and day after. Bit of a relief to read that others have experienced some similar effects. Don't know if it's the alcohol but that's my hunch. Can't find much online about it either.

Oh and the psoriasis thing...good to know! Have experienced mild psoriasis/dandruff and never would have thought there was a connection. All this has totally turned me off alcohol. Just not worth it.

Sorry, quick follow-up to earlier post....

Though brief, also experienced red spots on my face. On the cheeks, near my nose.

Has been suggested to me that my intolerance for alcohol is related to overgrowth of Candida Albicans (yeast) in the intestinal tract. This can occur in those who've gone through lots of antibiotics. Antibiotics kill the healthy bacteria which normally keep Candida in check. Once gone, Candida multiply and grow causing numerous problems, including food alergies. Certain foods 'help' the Candida grow and include sugar, breads and of course, alcohol. Lots of information online about Candida. To get rid of it usually means a major diet change - and one I'm not fond of. Not sure if it has caused me to be hypersensitive to alcohol and that that caused my eyes to swell/hurt so bad but that's all I got. Please let me know if others have found the same.

I have very sore eyes. they have been like this for days.suddenly I realized that it happens after drinking. I sat by the computer and put in sore eyes after drinking and it got me here. I can not believe it. I wore contact lenses for past few years with no problem and one day on holidays my eyes went really sore. this pattern was repeating itself every holiday. that is when one drinks the most., but I always assumed it was my contact lenses that were causing the problem. I have stoppped wearing my contact lenses for few months but the other weekend had quite a lot of drink. My eyes become sore again but not just for short time this has lasted now 3 days. There is doubt that some people do become arlegic to drink. Shame.

Just the same its ridiculous I need someone here to find a solution !?!