Hi, my father has some trouble with the eyes. It is some kind of degeneration of the eye we have never heard before. The doctor says it is called asteroid hyalosis. My dad went to regular eye check when he was told that he has that disturbance. He had no severe symptoms except some small shadows in vision sometimes. Can you tell me something about asteroid hyalosis?

It is rather rear condition and that is why you didn't hear about it. It is a form of degeneration in which the calcium soaps the aggregate in vitreous body. It is not clear why is it happening. It is more often in males then females. Treatment is not required except if poor visualization of the fundus causes retinal diseases.

Hallo,
Asteroid hyalosis is a degenerative condition of the eye. To be honest I only once heard about this condition and now when I read your post I found some more information about this. It affects the vitreous humor in the eye. It is manifested as small white opacities in the citreous humor. The fact is that this condition can affect humans and dogs. The thing is that they look like asteroids or stars in eyes. If I am not mistaking this usually doesn’t affect the vision but the floating obstacles in the eyes can be really annoying. The treatment is often unnecessary. I hope this helped you a little bit.

All the best to you,
Karen