Hi, I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), my doctor suggested me to take Glucophage as part of infertility therapy. Does Glucophage work to get pregnant?

PCOS is characterized by infrequent menstrual periods or no menstrual periods; infertility or inability to get pregnant because of not ovulating; increased growth of hair on the face, chest, stomach; acne, oily skin, or dandruff. Glucophage is an oral antidiabetic medication used to treat type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes. Generic name is metformin. In women with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), glucophage can be used to regulate the way insulin decreases testosterone production. Essential cause of infertility in PCOS is lack of ovulation, due to high level of testosterone. Glucophage can be taken with fertility medications to promote ovulation. When you get pregnant, you should stop taking Glucophage.

I have done some extensive research on use if glucophage and it being used for fertility medicine, pcos, type 2 diabetes, and for maintaining pregnancy. The user above me stated that if you were to get pg using glucophage that you should stop taking it. This is incorret, if you were to consut your Dr. he would tell you to continue taking until your 12th week of pregnancy to help ensure that you do not have a miscarriage. If you have pcos you are more likely to have mc and should really consult your dr about all of this when you do get pregnant

I can honestly say that yes glucophage works to get pregnant. I never ever have periods even when the doctor put me on clomid I never had periods. It wasn't until she put me on glucophage and clomid that two weeks late I got pregnant. I don't know if the glucophage itself would work. It worked for me. Also, if you get pregnant while on glucophage it is recommended that you stay on it until you are done with the first trimester to decrease the chance of miscarriage. There haven't been enough studies done to prove if this is necessary or not, but I wasn't willing to take the chances. Good luck!

Can I take metformin and not menstrate, but get pregnant, cos I have been using metformin for the past 1 mth now, but I havent seen my menses?

I would like to respond about the use of glucophage. My husband and I had a tubal pregnancy back in November 2001. I stopped having a menstrual cycle for years. I met with an ob doctor who put my on birth control to get regulated again. However, even after I stopped taking my birth control, I was not getting pregnant. This was after 3 years of trying. We found that my estrogen levels were too low. He put me on glucophage to bring my estrogen levels up. I attest to this as this is how I got pregnant with my 2 kids. I quit taking my birth control, started the glucophage and got pregnant within 30 days on both kids. I will say to, I quit taking the glucophage as soon as I found out I was pregnant and had no difficulty. Thanks for listening.

well i've been taking metformin for almost a week how long do it take to get preganat!

I know this is old but I only been taking Metformin for almost a week now and I'm already on my cycle so hopefully next will be a lil bundle of joy.... if you ladies have had any success over the past yr can you plz respond

hi my doctor sent me to the gynie and they put me on glucophage 500mg 3 times a day as i am not ovulating every month i am on it 2 weeks now just wondering did it work and how long till it starts working

thanks

Guest wrote:

Hi, Please help? My husband and i are trying to fall pregnant but i have Pcos. My memstrual cycle has stopped completely for almost two years. six months ago my Dr put me on birth controll. however once i stopped the birth controll my menstrual cycle stopped as well. Now i am on glucophage , been on it for 3 days so far. Will my menstual cycle start being on glucophage alone?

I've been on Glucophage  around  2 week and just discovered i'm pregnant . Was thinking of trying for a baby and got diganosed with POCS and was put on Glucophage and told to start trying just in case i had trouble convieving . Didn't think it would happen so fastXD

I BEEN TRYING TO GET PREGNANT FOR 5 YEARS AND NOTHING. I JUST WENT TO THE DOCTOR N SAID I HAVE POCS I WAS LIKE WHAT IS THAT HE EXPLAIN N NOW I JUST STARTED TAKING METFORMIN I WA LIKE WHY IAM TAKING DIABETIC MEDICATION IM RYING TO DO SOME  EXTRA RESEARCH  BUT I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND WHHY IM TAKING THIS MEDICATION  CAN SOME ONE EXPLAIN WHY..........

I am fairly new to the "blog world" so I do not know all the acronyms that go along with the subjects; so I will put it in layman's terms!  I have been TTC (I know that one...lol!) for 4 years now.  I have been on several rounds of clomid and not too long ago began my second cycle of femera.  After taking the fermera, I had the vaginal ultra sound and found that I had two follicles, but I was not ovulating.  I tooke the ovidrel shot to initiate ovulation and my doctor also diagnosed me with PCOS the same day.  She prescribed prometrium to help build up the lining of my uterus and glucophage to begin on around day 13?? (femera was days 5-9) to help with my insulin levels...she said that the glucophage would help with the PCOS.  So, glucophage is to help maintain the levels of insulin in the body so that ovulation can take place.  It is NOT to help with starting a period (this would be prometrium (in my case).  I am now waiting to see if I am PREGNANT...please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  This is a long and tiring journey, but I take comfort in knowing that there is hope and I am trusting GOD for my miracle...Be Blessed and stay prayerful... 

I went to see my dr. today for my lab work and my levels were low...so he put me on 200mg clomid days 5-9 and also gave me a prescription for glucophage...500mg twice a day ... not sure if this will work am so stress and worried want to get preggo sooooon...but my stress is not helping... hopefully this medication works this month... are there any success stories... oh by the way when am i suppose to start my glucophage???? on day five of my period or as soon as I fill my prescription????

How glucophage help in pregnancy?