I was on the pill for a bout 5 years and decided to stop so we could get pregnant. I have been doing some research and it says that women who come off the pill should wait 1-3 months before trying to conceive. One reason is that some women do not ovulate while their bodies are returning to normal; howver, I took an ovulation test last month and it was positive for two days. Does that mean that I ovulated last month and my body is capable of ovulating now?

Can you please update me on your situation. Im trying to find others like me: I came off the pill in July since my husband and I wanted to start trying. Long story short - no period since then - so its been 5 months with no periods. I do, however, have symptoms of ovulating and am pretty sure I ovulate every month. To be sure, a few weeks ago I felt I was ovulating - tested it and it came out positive. Its been 3 weeks and still no period. No article offers any help for us having this problem. My Dr. dismisses it as no problem and her solution is Clomid. She tested me for PCOS and every other condition possible and I am a perfectly healthy 26 year old woman. They say, no period means you didnt ovulate and there is no other answer - but how could this be if I AM ovulating? My husband and I havent started trying yet until my body goes back to normal. I am just looking to talk to others like me! I know I can probably take Clomid and or other fertility drugs but why cant my problem be explained?!

To pdtroubles2 -
I'm 24 and was on birth control for almost 3 years. I came off the pill in August, then had a period in September, and then didn't have any periods for over 3 months. My doctor said that I wasn't ovulating and prescribed PROMETRIUM to reset my cycle, and get me ovulating again. She said I didn't have enough pergesterone to have a pergesterone drop to cause a period. I started a period right after finishing the pills like my doctor said I would, but since then I have had "periods" every other week for over a month.

Now my doctor says my body still has not started ovulating since going off of the pill, and they want me to take a month of birth control pills to try to get my cycle normal. She said that my estrogen was too low or just not balanced to hold on to the lining of the uterus for the whole month.

And they keep telling me that this is perfectly normal after going off the pill, but I'm pretty upset. I was looking forward to getting pregnant soon, and not ovulating is pretty discouraging.

I hope your situation is going better.

I am 32 years old and have been on the pill for the past 15 years. I have been off since August and it is now October. My doctor also told me not to worry and would note ven see me unitl after 6 months. However, I am pretty anxious and 3 months seem like a long time for me. I can feel your fears and understand how you feel. I was regular before going ont ehpill, so I am very confused by all this. everyone keeps telling itis normal but thenI have friends who get pregnant pretty easily, so it is difficult. I am glad I am not alone.

I agree about the lack of information out there. You are not alone.

I am also experiencing your issue...

I have not had a period- 2 months now after stopping the pill after over 10 years of use. I went to the obgyn and all my blood work came back normal..he did say sometimes stress and loosing weight (which i did via running more) can sometimes cause this to happen. I reallly dont want to start taking loads of drugs now, so may just wait a bit for my body to get normal....i have heard its normal but dont hear of any horror stories of never getting a period again! its strange cause sometimes i feel like im going to get my period- but nothing....should i wait awhile? thanks !!

Hi I'm glad I found this, I'm also trying to conceive for 5 months after being on th pill for 5 years. When I got off the pill I immediately got my period the next day for my original duration before the I started on the pill. Then 3 months later I had no period but had symptoms of ovulation or possible menstruation ( breast tenderness!!!) and NOTHING! I went to the doctor and they gave me meds to make my period come down which it did but very very light , not like my normal periods. Then now here I am 2 months later with again NO period!!!! I've been having breast and cramping but still nothing! I haven't taken a pregnancy test yet until I return to the doc tomorrow ( again!) to have them reevaluate my body!

Hi there, I am also to, glad I found this site.
I stopped taking my pill at the end of the pack about 3 months ago. I had a withdrawel bleed after stopping and and I also had a period or bleeding shall we say 6 weeks after stopping. It lasted for 5 days but was really light, like hardly anything, not like a normal period,usually i am quite heavy.
About a month after that i had again some spotting but it only lasted about a day. I am also trying to conceive but finding it hard as I do not know when I am ovulating of If I am at all.Since then I have had nothing.Ever since I have come off the pill I have only really had spotting, but this must be some sort of "normal" period as I dont what else it could be.
I am glad there are other in the same boat as me as there is hardly any websites out there to help.

HI. I am 19 years old. I stopped taking birth control pill 24 days ago(dec 23 )but at the beginning of the package. I got my period on dec 27 but It was very light. I had protected sex on Jan 2nd and Jan 4th. Today is Jan 17th and still haven't gotten my period. I feel bloated ,my breast is tender and I have an upset stomach. I don't know what is going on. I took two pregnancy tests and both came out negative. What should I do? I need help.

so i also have the same problem of only having 1 period more like spotting after going off bc in sept. my bf and i had unprotected sex 2 times in sept. and then slight spotting in oct. after that there was nothing up untill now....had unprotected sex last night and woke up this morning and there was spotting but i went to the doc. before... many times and they said its normal when u go off the pill....but no period for this long???????? anyone told anything else? can i get prego?

Hello! I am glad I found this site. I need help and am here to give advice to others above on things I have read in the past from medical sites about stopping the pill/ovulation and pregnancy. Also from my Mothers professional advice (nurse in a GP's for more then 25 years)

Hmmm, firstly the pill is designed to stop your body from ovulating which in turn stops pregnancy. Once the pill is no longer taken you can in theory ovulate straight away, hence why some women never have a proper period because they conceive before this happens.

Regardless of how long you have taken the pill the hormones are not in your body for longer then a week, if that. (I'm taking about the pill not the implant or injections if you have had this form of b.c then it could take months before the hormone is out of your body) However because your body has been controlled by the pill you have been unable to see menstrual issues before this because they have been 'masked' by the pill and you 'normal' withdrawal bleeds. This in mind it is still not uncommon (even for women who had no issues with periods before the pill) to take their bodies at least 3-6 months for a proper cycle to resume. Only because your body needs to kick in again, not because you're waiting for the pill to 'get out of your system'. The advice is though if it is longer then 6 months you should seek medical advice.

If you have been waiting a while for your period to come there are other clues that you may be ovulating, such as your vaginal discharge which will become sticky and more in substance, like egg white. If you're really interested you can stretch it between your thumb and forefinger and if it hangs there sticky that it known as 'fertility' mucas which means your about one day from ovulation. (the point of this mucas is to help the little soilders to swim better to the egg).

I know what it's like though, once you decide to stop the pill to get pregnant you want it right away. No waiting please!!! Now! thank you very much!

I have recently stopped taking b.c in an attempt to get pregnant. My last withdrawal bleed induced by the pill was on Thursday 22nd Jan 09. I have had intercourse every 2-3 days at least except for the week of 31jan-6feb as my partner was away. Exactly four weeks after my withdrawal bleed on 19th Feb 09 I had very light brown spotting which has continued getting slightly heavier on 25Feb, but never pink/red. I am getting slightly concerned as it doesn't appear to be stopping. I only need a panty liner at the most and it's not there every time when I go to the toilet. So I too have no idea what is going on with my body as most people seem to have a problem having a period and I have a problem in that I don't know when it will stop!!

Anyway it seems that I know the answers but still want more for myself!!!

Sorry if none of that made sense, this was also a vent from myself!

I finished my pill after about 7/8 years and began my last 'period' on Feb 15th as we have decided to start trying to have a baby. We began having unprotected sex on the 11th March and have been trying every other day since then.

I can't even remember how long my cycle was before I went on the pill so I wouldn't even know when to expect my period to come if it did come on time. I took a pregnancy test a few days ago as I just had a gut feeling I might have been pregnant but it was negative. I guess this could have been because I tried to test too soon? Does anyone know the likelihood of getting pregnant during your first cycle off the pill?

I am feeling a bit concerned after reading about the fact that it might take a year for me to get back to normal :-(

I am 32 and was on the pill for 15 years and went off last July to prepare myself for pregnancy. Since I have been off, my cycles have been rather normal, 27-28 days but with a very light, brown period. That was until this month when my period came 1 week early and lasted for 13 days...uggh. Still light and brown. This was my first period that I had severe breast tenderness as well so I took a pregnancy test to be sure and it was negative.

My mom, who has been a certified nurse midwife for 20+ years, said that I may now just be starting to ovulate after going off the pill so may body is attempting to normalize. I thought I had been ovulating since I had cervical mucus, etc. but she said you can still have those symptoms and not ovulate. The best way to determine if you are ovulating is to start tracking your basel body temp. It is the best indicator and the least expensive. Also, it is helpful to have the information when you see your doctor so they can understand what you may be going through even better. Good luck all, I need some too!!

I just had a feeling to test my ovulation this morning since last night i felt breast pain. I came off the pill after finishing the monthly cycle. It's been 7 days since I started my period and stopped bleeding only 2 days ago but lo and behold the test says i'm about to ovulate. So yes, you can ovulate straight away. This has kind of mucked me up a bit now though as I used to ovulate on day 15 without fail and it seems maybe this time things will be different. We are trying for a girl too so need to cease sex about 2 days before the peak of ovulation. I'm going to have to test every day after my next period just to be sure i don't ovulate all sneaky like. If i'd never had a feeling it was happening i may never have known. Lol

I just stopped taking the pill a month ago after 8 continuous years of taking birth control pill. My husband and I are TTC. After I stopped, I looked at several websites to see how stopping the pill could affect my body. I was very concerned when I read on several sites that it was possible that I wouldn't be ovulating for several months after coming off the pill. My doctor told me not to worry if I don't get my period for a couple of months because that is normal. He also recommended to use an ovulation kit and to check my cervical mucus. For the entire month, I have done both those things. I have never read a positive on the ovulation kit, and my cervical mucus never became egg white. I also had several side-effects from coming off the pill such as cramps, sore breasts and headaches which lasted the entire month. I was very stressed out about not being to ovulate. Yet, I got my period on day 30th, which means that I did ovulate last month (you can only get a period if you ovulate). Before I went on the pill, my cycle was a very regular 29 days. So, it seems my cycle returned to normal the first month off the pill, which is a huge relief! I will try the ovulation kit again this month, in addition to taking my basal body temperature. Hopefully, my cervical mucus will also be back to normal.

You can still have a period without ovulation.