We need advice. My mum has a ganglion cyst on her wrist. It feels painful ifshe presses on it. She wants to remove it. Is that possible?
Thanks for replies!

Hello.
She can remove ganglion cyst on wrist with surgery. Although doctors recommend observation, because ganglion may disappear in time; patient should be watching to make sure nothing radical changes occur.
Because your mum feels pain when she presses on ganglion, it is very possible she needs aspiration- this is a procedure, where doctor drains the fluids- doctor numbs the wrist and puncture the cyst with a needle and removes the fluid. This treatment leaves the outer shell and the stalk of the ganglion intact, so it can reform and reappear.
Also, surgery is possible, but there is no guarantee that the cyst won’t recur. I think it is worth a shot… It is not very complicated surgery and everything goes back to normal after 2-4 weeks.

I've recenetly got the Ganglion cyst, developed in the wrist area, surgically removed. Before the surgery, my wrist was normal but with pain when bent backwards or sideways during exertion. But, after a month post-surgery, I am facing more problems. Though, I've got my cyst removed, but I am unable to flex my wrist, as I used to do earlier. The movement is very much restricted with associated pain, very much unlike a normal wrist.

Also, there is a visible lump and hardness in the excised area of the wrist, which was not present earlier. What could be the reason for such symptoms?

I am not satisfied with the doctor / surgeon's explanation of the symptoms occuring due to natural postoperative conditions.

Please suggest. Thanks for the help.

Regards
Hiten

I am having the EXACT same problems as Hiten and am also not satisfied with my doctor's answers. I thought this would be a minor deal and am much worse off since the surgery than I was with the cyst. I didn't not see any replys but would love to have an answer.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hello, I am also someone with the Ganglion Cyst problem. I've had the same problem since I was 11 years old. Now it has been 7 years since I've had this problem. For me after a while the pain goes away, though the lumb and embarrassment stays. Though I still can preform everyday activities, even during PT in the Air Force. I've tried the slamming the book and playing volley ball using my thumb to hit the ball to get the cyst back in. It works here and there but theirs a pain that also comes with it. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that it is not that big a deal, and your better off not getting surgery cause that might make the pain worst. Docters and surgery are not the answer these days.

Hello, I too suffer from ganglion cysts. I have three of them one on the back of my wrist and one on each side of wrist where you would take a pulse. The one on the top of my wrist I had aspirated and it came back. I have spoken to many people with the same thing that have had surgery and it created more problems for them like loss of the use of their fingers. The only thing that I find for relief is immobilizing it with a wrist gaurd especially when Im sleeping. They do go down if you limit the use of the whole wrist. As for the pain Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory that will help it go down while you immobilize it with a guard. Good luck to you and your mum. Michelle

Did the doctors prescribe any pain killers for the ganglion?

Here's a little story I thought I'd share with those of you who have a cyst and are considering the idea of excision/aspiration/etc... I had a cyst that came in on my wrist a couple of years ago (right wrist, dorsal). It was small at first but caused a lot of pain, to the extent that I couldn't support any weight with that hand. I'm in the military and I couldn't even do push ups. I couldn't take a pan out of the oven with my right hand, and even had issues turning my car on because the motion hurt so bad. I tried using a brace to immobilize the area, and that did allow the cyst to go down quite a bit. However, once I took it off, I experienced the same pain within a matter of days. After every possible treatment, I decided to get it surgically extracted. Within 3 months, it came back, bigger than the first time. This only happens in 15% of people who opt for surgical removal. One day, somehow...the cyst burst inside my hand. No big deal. It was puffy for a little while, and a little painful, but it was gone. Less than a month later I had another cyst that had formed in the same spot. It was huge. In fact, the doctor said that if I came back with another one he would call the obgyn and make sure it got a birth certificate. Well, long story short....I had this last one extracted as well. It turns out that the cyst that burst in my hand caused so much scar tissue to form that several cysts formed in my hand (they stopped counting at 7). Not only that, they had encapsulated a large area of my nerves. Now I have nerve damage in various parts of my hand and have lost range of motion in my wrist. Now...why the horror story? Just realize that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. These things can be more dangerous than you think though. Had I not gotten this last one taken out when I did, I could have lost the majority of functionality in my hand. Consider getting an x-ray done if you are having a cyst aspirated often to ensure that it's not growing in areas that you're not aware of. I wouldn't recommend slamming a book on it, as that could create the scar tissue that I mentioned previously. Just some food for thought. I don't want to scare anyone, but it could help someone.

I had one for years busted it once with a book, once sliding into second base and it still came back. Like the above post sometimes they do. You have to hit it just in the right place to bust it so it wont come back is all I can tell you. I could hardly bend my wrist and it hurt non stop. One day I fell off of a step ladder and jammed my hand back I did not know if I wanted to laugh or cry. Other parts were hurting but I had so much relief from my wrist I was happy. :-D The cyst has never came back. That has been since 1996. Good luck. I am praying for you.

I too had a cyst in my left wrist. For the longest time I was feeling excruciating pain whenever I'd move my wrist until one day while exercising I noticed a lump and when I squeezed it I yelled so loudly!! It was unbearable!!! I couldn't do anything with that hand which is VERY bad in My case being that I'm a lefty.
I showed it to my dad who's a doctor (pediatrician) and told me it was a cyst. So I went and got the aspiration done and very little liquid came out. My doctor even said that it was far too small to be causing such pain.
The pain didn't go away so bout a month later I went in for surgery, the doctor still insisted that that was not the cause of my pain, but I still wanted it gone. The procedure was pretty fast and all around painless. I now have a small scar on top of my wrist....And yet....I am STILL in pain!!! I couldn't believe it. The cyst hurt but my wrist still hurts without it :( I think it's been about a year now since and I am still struggling with my wrist. I guess I've learned to live with it, but I would LOVE living without it!
I mostly can't bend my wrist backwards, push ups are the bane of my existence! It's really painful on the inner part of my hand, towards the thumb area (don't know if that's clear enough) I do feel a bit of tension when bending forward but not as much as backwards. I'm still hoping for it to go away somehow and I have yet to find out what is truly causing my misery. 

Had the cyst we are all talking about...painful...had it drained...came back bigger...still hurts weird thing is its like the pigment in my skin has gone away where the cyst is...won't tan or anything...any thoughts?

I just had the surgery 2 weeks ago and was given the same response but by the best surgeon in my state. The reason is, nerves and tendons had to be separated and shifted while extraction took place. What they do not tell you is that after they remove the cyst, they remove about a foot long of feelers kind of like blood veins from the site of incision because ganglions grow off of the nerves. That part, hurts like hell to recover from. My arm is puffy and scar-tissue is very painful but within a year to two years, that will die down.

If you do not seek physical thearpy however, you may lose your range of motion and some people have no ability to bend their hand forward like the opposite wrist anymore.

I hope it helped you out. The first 48 hours for me post-surgery i would have rather been shot it was soo painful. I didn't take any meds.

sounds like there is a part to this story you are not mentioning. A cyst can be painful if it occurs on the site aligned with tendons and the nerves that interact with the hand during motion. If you forgot to mention that you had an Acute trauma event, then it is likely you could have damaged a nerve or worse punctured the cyst wall, causing scar tissue to build up all over the site which would then, persist to give you more pain even after an extraction was made. I am not a doctor, just educated and enjoy reading about medical information. I as well suffered from a ganglion dorsal on my left which is my dominant hand. The post-surgery was far more hell than the google pages explain it to be, but i also took no pain meds and if every surgery was written down as painful and could make you cry, no one would have surgeries lol.

I have had mine done over two weeks now and it is still stiff, scar-tissue is very present and causes me pain. This is not a small surgery, the nerves inside your hand are very complex and hyper-sensitive.

i hope it helped you some

-alex-

Hi all . I too had ganglion cyst operated 2yrs back. Now again a bigger one is developed causing lots of pain in the wrist area of my left hand. And doctor told there is a scar problem where the operation was done. It might go or become plarger than usual. Am unable to bend my hand or do any work . Please advise