I am so afraid that I've hurt my ankle badly; I just don't know what to do! Doctor said that maybe outer ligaments are torn and that I have to lay still for at least a week for those ligaments to heal properly. But why would I have to rest for so long. Is there maybe an ankle dislocation?

You must know that even though people do not think so, torn ligament is a serious injury. If not healed correctly, it would be very hard for your ankle to be as it was before and you can avoid that with a lot of resting and with applying ice and some anti swelling creams. Patience is your best medication right now.

Don't feel bad I fell off my concret back steps, aproximately 3 feet. I dislocated my ankle torn all the ligament and tendons that hold ankle to fibula and on outter aspect sliced open ankle on sharp concrete, then proceeded to fracture the head of my radius in myleft arm. They did surgery on my ankle to clean it out (dirty wound) fix dislocation drilled holesin fibula to attempt to reattach tendons and ligaments. I can not bear any weight for three months. They are hoping scar tissue will fill in, if not I will require reconstructive surgery. this happened april 18th, 2 months ago and I am going wild! Have one more month to go and hopefully it will have worked. I will be out of work for a total of six months I hate it! I still have pain and numbness am now in a boot instead of a cast. I still have trouble with fine motor coordination in my left hand and pain in the fingers and wrist when I attempt to lift anything. I am stuck in a wheelchair because I can not use crutches or walker due to left arm fracture and continued pain.
Hope you are doing better. Good luck!