I was involved in a work project over a two day period where I did hours and hours of cutting out paper dolls with scissors - now for the past two days I have numbness in my right thumb - specifically on the outer portion of the thumb from the bottom of my thumbnail to to the joint - please advise as to what I should do.

I am currently having the same thing happen to me, how do I fix it? Or will it go away by itself? At first I wasnt sure what the cause could have been, I had a cut right in the surface on my thumb, and had a bandaid that was too tight, I text alot, and I used the scissors to cut heavy material therefore causing my right thumb to feel very numb especially on the outer right side of my thumb where the nail ends. It has been like this for the past week at first I thought it would go away soon, but it has not, and it is starting to concern me. After reading the previous I narrowed the cause down to the scissors, but now what is the solution?

I too was involved with a project cuttingheavy fabric with scissors--now nearly three weeks later the numbness continues. However, I also have a sharp needle like pain--resembling an electric shock--if I use my right hand to grasp objects such as a door knob, rake, broom, etc. some discomfort e ven with grasping drinking glass. Seems to locate between joint and knuckle on inside of thumb. What can be done to alleviate problem?

I cut my thumb on a tin can. It has now been 1 month and I have the same problem with "electric shocks" as you. It is over 2 months since you posted that message, so since our injuries seem similar, how is your thumb doing now? any improvement etc? Im hoping to get rid of the uncomfortable sensations i sometimes get when using my thumb.

I used scissors yesterday, cutting laminated paper, and the top half of my right thumb has been numb ever since. My first reaction is to assumed that it is a pinched nerve.
Not sure what is going on or how long it will last.
Has anyone else alleviated their symptoms and if so, how and how long?

i used a grinder for 8 hours 3 days ago and my thumb cant feel anything works fine tho

Guys, I have the exact same symptoms. I've been both to the doctor and the physio, they both don't have a clue. We have located the problem source with seems to be a nerve bruise (maybe even trapped)....just where the thumb joins the wrist. Probably due to overuse of laptop, wresting wrists on the edge of the laptop. I have since stopped using the laptop but the problem still exists.

I would be VERY interested to hear if anyone was able to come up with an answer to this problem?

IM 20 and experienced the exact same thing but from writing with my left hand. Must be a pinched nerve in the inner portion.., half the tip is numb and the inside sends pain when objects touch it. (I can feel the nerve.)

I have the same problem on my right thumb.
I'm really worried as it could be the start of a degenerative illness such as ALS.
I went to the doctor and she does't know, I will see the therapist and I will try some ultrasounds but if I have no joy I will ask for more investigations

3days ago I was using scissors to cut fabric and I was doing this for about 10hrs. At the time I kept feeling the handle digging into my thumb, and I felt it going numb. I would stop give it a rub and then continue cutting thinking I could manage the pain and it would go away once I stopped cutting. Now it has been 3days and the pain is still there, from the bottom joint in the thumb to the tip of my thumb. It is constantly numb but when i touch it lightly or try to hold a cup for example pain shoots through it like 'pins and needles'. Can anyone please let me know how long their pain continued for if it was related to use of scissors. Will the pain and numbness gradually fade away and how long will it take?

My thumb was numb allso same symptoms it went away tho after time but its still sensetive

That's the exact same thing that happened to me! I spent three hours cutting out stupid laminated shapes! I'm really worried, as i am an accomplished pianist and would to lose my ability because i was working on some dumb project. I wish someone would answer with post with an explanation. I am having a numb thumb

Just searched this on google and this was the first thing that came up. I decided today that after 1 week its not going away. Doesnt look like its serious though does it?

J

I was cutting out shapes with scissors three weeks ago and realised afterwards that my right thumb was completely numb. A week later I started to get a stiff neck and went to my GP who thought it was probably just a muscle spasm - until I casually mentioned that I couldn't feel my thumb. He immediately telephoned the Neurology Department of my local hospital and I have an appointment to go there on 19th January. I mentioned that I thought the thumb problem was as a result of excessive scissor use but he said that he wanted to check it out as I broke some verterbrae in my neck 20 years ago in a car crash which still bother me to this day. I'll let you know how I get on.

justamum

Ive been experiencing mild tingling and numbness in my left thumb and now feels like a little bit of tingling is also starting on the left side of my hand near the pinky. I suffer from anxiety attacks so it could be that as it causes numbness and tingling but I also held a very heavy serving platter 2 days ago for a good 15 minutes to pass around at a table and felt the tingling right after that. Could it be a nerve pinch?