I WAS WONDERING WHY WAS I SPOTTING AND CRAMPING AFTER MY PAP SMEAR IT HAS NEVER HAPPEN BEFORE. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE TRYING TO CONCEIVE A BABY. WE HAVE BEEN HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW AND NOTHING HAS HAPPEN PLEASE HELP ME TO SORT THIS THING OUT. THANK YOU

Though it doesn't happen to all women or happen every time, some women do bleed after a pap smear. Sometimes the cervix and/or the uterus gets slightly irritated during the procedure and it can cause some menstrual bleeding.

If you're concerned that it's not menstrual, or if you're concerned it's lasting too long, call the doctor who gave the procedure.

Hello staceyQ, 

As BedsonTrudeau already said, it does happen sometimes that sometimes you experience some spotting or mild bleeding after pap smear. It isn’t regular thing that happens, but it does. Cramping would definitely point towards the start of your period, but that is something you probably will know, if your periods are regular. Similarly, it’s not unusual for some women to experience some spotting and milder cramping at the time they ovulate, not necessarily every month.

However, since it has been two years since you are trying to conceive, I think that it’s time for both you and your husband to see if there are any problems related to your fertility so that you can get treated. This way, the stress and disappointment of not succeeding are just putting you under more stress.