I have been off my pill for over a month. My last period was Dec 4, 2006. I have had the cramping and tender breast but I am not pregnant. We are trying. I have a pap smear coming up and I was wondering during the exam will my doctor be able to tell if I am pregnant?

Actually NO. They can not tell if you are pregnant by having a PAP exam. You would need to have a urine or a blood test to determine pregnancy.

Hi browneye1313, 

It’s not unusual at all after you stop taking the birth control pill that you experience the symptoms somewhat similar to the pregnancy symptoms. That’s because the BC pills contain hormones and it takes a while for your body to get used to the change. So, it’s not unusual that you experience earlier period, spotting or cramping.

But, if you have been having unprotected sex, than there definitely are chances of pregnancy. However, as Jenny said, the pap smear will not tell your doctor if you’re pregnant or not. It would be the smartest to tell about your doubts before the smear, so you can get a proper pregnancy test. Since you were on the pill, you can’t be pregnant for more than a week and that can be detected by blood or if you’re further pregnant, urine pregnancy test.