Hi, I was yesterday on the regular gynecological examination, and the doctor said that I had to get a Pap smear test. I heard lot of times about this test, but I never knew why is it so important. Does it help in diagnosing STD?

Hi, pap test is important because it checks for signs of cancer of the cervix. A doctor takes a sample of cells from your cervix, put it on a glass and takes it to lab to be tested. The sample is taken with a special instrument called a speculum. Pap test shows if the cells are normal or changed. The changing can be related to sexually transmitted diseases (STD). They include HPV, herpes, gonorrhea and chlamydia. Human papillomavirus is one of the STD, and it is one of the most common reasons for changing of the cells in cervix. It is the virus that can cause genital warts. The best thing is to do a pap test regularly, after the first sexual experience.